any advise?" />

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

I need help...

Old 11-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Default I need help...

I am going to hunt alone in a year or two and I'm starting to get nervous. They arent giving out any hunting spots... its like corrupted! I dont know what to do... any advise?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I need help...

buy a marsh, put it into WRP.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:28 PM

On Long Island...there arent any marshes to buy! its so populated!!! I thought about investing in a small boat but I dont want to piss off any other hunters. what do you think?Besides, where i hunt, theres a bunch of rich snobby tree huggin dirt worshipers. Thats why every morning we fire off a good morning Quogue shot along with every other hunter on the bay
Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 PM

my advice is to do research on where the ducks go. find a place that might be a little further out than most guys would go. if you go where not many people are willing to you will have a better chance of finding a place to hunt. the same thing happens here in minnesota there are a few great lakes but they are full of hunters by 5 in the mornin. so i found an area just off the lakes on public land that has hidden openings in the catails all over. you just gotta do you research on the internet. you best friend is a satalite photo. hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the advice Deer Beer...the only thing is when the bay freezes up, im screwed no open water = no ducks
BUT...i have a good spot where i can go into, its at the opening of a canal where the water is always moving and no one hunts the area except my buddy on the other side of the canal. Also, my dad is a ex-landscaper and he knows a lot of people on the water. I took a bike ride over there and met a couple of them, did some errons for them, and now i can hunt the spots. One spot gets flooded a lot and theres A LOT of puddle duck in there.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

Hunting alone isn't as much fun as with others, but it forces you to make the decisions... where to set up, how many decoys, when and how to call. I think I've learned more hunting this year alone than I have in the past 3 years with others that are more experienced.

What you're going through right now in finding spots is just another example of that.

If you get lonely, just buy a dog.

Cheers,
Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 PM

lol im in the process of convincing my parents to buy a dog for me
Old 11-29-2006, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah Bud....go out there and do some scouting then get your own....that solves that problem.....and don't tell anyone except for your closiest hunting buddies......Honkers