Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Do you shoot ducks on the water?????? >

Do you shoot ducks on the water??????

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do you shoot ducks on the water??????

Old 02-23-2003, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you shoot ducks on the water??????

We refer to it as ground pounding and that is not in a cool way. I have only shot few birds that were crippled on the water in my 20 plus years. I see no sport in shooting a swimming, able to fly bird. I have in that time done a lot of jumps both in a field or on a puddle...they' ll fly just give them a chance to get up, to me more fun hitting a flying target. Please remember, if your shooting at a duck on water (cripple or not) make sure that nothing is behind it...them pellets can skip and cause damage.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:33 AM

i agree with the ones that say it is up to the hunter. i would rather mine came out of the air, but if i must i will shoot them swimming,diving, sunbathing or whatever.i am not only out there for the sport but i do love the taste of duck.if i was only interested in shooting flying things a would shoot skeet and save a lot of money,but them thangs dont eat good.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

agree with 10 point
As long as you make a clean kill, who cares? A dead duck is a dead duck, no matter if it is flying or on the water.
i have shot ducks on the water before. but if they are flying i shoot them not let them land first. some times i just sneak up on ponds.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:23 PM

Only a youngster new to the sport or to finish off a cripple
Old 03-24-2003, 01:33 PM

Nope. Only time I do is to finish off a cripple...

Kimmie
Old 04-02-2003, 02:26 PM

shooting ducks on the water is only for killing a cripple. Allowing a duck to swim to the weeds where it can be lost is unethical hunting. Your fatehr taught you very well.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:35 AM

Actually if it is legal there should not be a discussion. Yes certain opinions can be expressed but ultimately if it is legal it is a personal preference.

I have had many a waterfowl swim in. Some when raised up will fly, others a yell added is all it took but a few maintain on the water swimming away. In these few instances yes I have shot duck on the water but at these times and distances, many if not all fly, because of their organs are protected (under water) so I still get the shot in the air. Also unfortanetly as I hope we all try to make a quick and humane kill at times it does not work as planned and at these times I have no hesitation to dispatch a crip if the opportunity presents itself. If downed in cattails or other structure that prohibits this then one of my dogs is sent. Again this is my preference but will not impose my opinion on anyone else especially if it is legal to shoot off the water. As once was stated or asked which would you prefer someone that shoots them only in the air just to throw them in the garbage or someone that shoots them off the water but feeds himself and his family with what he takes? Actually it makes no difference if it is legal, its a personal preference do not use morals or conscious or sportsman like BS it is a basic personal desicion. We as sportman need to direct are dislike to poachers and anti-hunters not debate an issue that is LEGAL. Thats my opinion!