Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New Lab

Old 10-10-2006, 01:00 PM

Default RE: New Lab

THE ONLY THING TO DO IS GET A PUPPY OUT PROVEN DUCK DOGS ,DONT WORRY ABOUT ALL THAT HIGH FALOPPIN WATER ,FIELD CAMPION STUFF,OR BIG NAME PEDIGREES.JUST GET A PUPPY YOU CAN AFFORD AND HAVE FUN ,,,,ALLWAYS MAKE IT FUN FOR THE TWO OF YOU,AND YA WILL BE JUST FINE.I GOT A REG.. BLACK MALE OUT OF TWO ARKANSAS DUCK DOGS, NO BIG NAMES ON PAPERS JUST GOOD HUNTERS AND HE WILL PUT EVERY BIRD IN YOUR HAND..HE WAS A GIVEAWAY PUPPY..BUT I WOULDNT TAKE NOTHING FOR HIM NOW..IF YOU DO DECIDE TO TRAIN YOURSELF,TAKE YOUR TIME AND TRY TO BE PATIENT WITH THE PUP..MY 2 CENTS THANKS
Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to say after my folks owning 2 labs and one of them being my own, and training him since he was a pup it is not an easy job. Even tho i had my folks to help me out when im at school and stuff to have him sit and stay. The whole hunting training was on me.
I first got him use to the water took him in the water when he was about 7 months to get used to it. then when he was about a year i took a teal that i had shot and froze it and ever week for about an hour a week i would train with him throw it out make him sit stay and watch, and then have him go after it and bring it back. Would praise him when he would bring the bird back so he would no that what he is doing is right.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:11 AM

I have three dogs, my dad owns one tho. One of my is a Chocolate Lab(Sasha) and she is great we got her from a friend for $500! She is a great dog, she listens really good and even when she is tired she still goes for the ducks and geese. The other dog I have is a Black Lab(Duke). A friend got him from a kennel, but then she couldn't keep him anymore because her boyfriend was allergic to dogs, so I boughtDuke off her for $200, which is a good price....but he weighs like 150 pounds, she fed him well! I had to runDuke every morning before school and my dad would run him and Sasha when he would run his dog at noonand then I would have to runDukeafter school. Iwas getting a really good work out too!Heneed quite a bit of training too!He kind of new how things worked because whne I wastraininghime becausehe was kind of gottrained at thekennel.One day when I took him out to a swamp I was getting himready! I had just bought some rubber ducks that would float, that he had to go get for me. I had him sitting in a dog blind beside me, then I threw rubber ducks in the swamp,Duke was getting excited, soI told him to sit , he didn't move until I gave him a command and he ran you should of seen when he hit the water! There was a huge splash! It was so funny even though I have to work on that part with him! I got it all on video camera. I still am running Duke three times a day and, but I think I am going to only run him for two times a day now that he is like 100 pounds now! He still could be lighter. Something that really helped train Duke and Sasha was a training school I forget what it is called my friend from Michigan took my two dogs, my dad's and his dog there! It helped lots and now they go every summer!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

I used the Wolters Water Dog Book, my first dog ever, and it was fun and rewarding.

Three words, patience patience patience.

If I knew how much fun dogs were I would have had one years ago.