Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Northwoods waterfowl

Old 09-03-2006, 04:30 PM

Default Northwoods waterfowl

I live in Maine where our seasons are relatively short and the temperature can be quite variable. Although goose hunting has improved steadily over the past few years my observation is that duck hunting has gotten tougher. I've been experimenting with different ways to hunt the smaller ponds and rivers of the Northwoods and I'm wondering about others' strategies.

When I'm with a partner I'll set a small spread of decoys or often plana canoe float-trip. However, I mostly hunt alone (because I like to get away from the tar and ATV trails). When I'm alone I often do some mixed stalking and opportunistic decoying. By this I mean I creep up toa likely beaver flowage or flat stretch of water and glass for birds. If none are around for a stalk I'll throw out 3-6 decoys (mixed mallards and woodies) and MAYBE call a little. If I've chosen the right spot, at the right time, I might see some ducks (sounds a little like lighting striking, but it surprisingly can work). Since I don't have a dog or boat with me on these occasions I have to be very choosy about the shots I can take if I want to recover my birds. Now I love the solitude, adventure and sheer beauty of hunting this way, but it is admittedly not very productive. What are other strategies for hutning Northwoods wetlands?

Geoff
Old 09-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Northwoods waterfowl

Not knowing the topography of Maine as you do, I can only suggest some things that you might consider. I have family in NE Minnesota that is heavily wooded with smaller glacial lakes and shallow bog lakes, rivers.
I think you have thought through and tried some things that sound interesting.
I would suggest getting familiar with where local ducks that nest in the area (may be somewhat limited), but if you have woodies around find areas through the summer and before hunting where you see them flying. Pay attention to the directions, patterns and times of day. When I'm out walking my dogs early in the morning I see the same flocks of Canada Geese(I presume) at almost the same time each morning flying from the water they roost on overnight to fresh grass to feed. Ducks have patterns too. Find what they are and adapt to where you try to catch them either in those flight patterns going to or coming from food or water.
It'll make it more likely too I think that your time putting out decoys and calling be more productive, too.
If you have shallow lakes or sloughswith wild rice, migrating ducks love to set on those spot to feed and they feel more secure. We've walked up to such ponds at times thinking nothing was there, until we make a little noise to be sure. And more often than not, mallards and sometimes Canada's have gotten up out of the rice, we didn't see, for shots.
Just don't hit the same spots everyday to burn them off. Give a couple days between, if possible.
You didn't say why you won't have your dog at these times. But if there is a way to have him/her with you, it'll give you more confidence to shoot and retrieve more birds, too. I find that just having a friend that you trust to share hunting experiences and watching our labs retrieve and find some birds in tough spots adds a whole new level to the hunting experience. I didn't have a retrieving dog when I was young and it was tough. Since I've been hunting with dogs many years, I really like that a lot. I would make every effort to make it possible to hunt with a good dog.
Good luck!