Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Ammo of Choice?

Old 06-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ammo of Choice?

Just curious what everybody uses for duck loads.

I lost quite a few ducks last year from steel shot. Dead ducks that didn't realize they were dead until they were well over 200 yards away.

Do you think some of the other metals that are being used would change this?

I am thinking about trying out some of the stuff from Bismuth, Federal's High Density loads and Remington's Wingmaster HD cartridges. It's a lot more expensive than steel, but I just can't stand the feeling of shooting a duck; seeing feathers fly; watching the duck fly about 200-500 yards away; keel over and fall straight down. I'm wondering of the composition of steel and how hard it is combined with the velocity it is traveling with results in not providing enough damage to drop the bird on the spot.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Old 06-12-2006, 07:08 AM

Default RE: Ammo of Choice?

I have used Winchester Expert 3" steel in BB for snow geese and have had excellent luck with them, dropping geese out to 50 yards. Also have bagged 2 Canadas with these shells.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

I dont really get all into the battle of the best ammo, I just buy the size shot that I need for what im hunting, geese is usually BB or T, mallards #2, and teal and woodies #4, the cheaper stuff works just as well if you aim right and shoot well.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dkhunter8383

I dont really get all into the battle of the best ammo, I just buy the size shot that I need for what im hunting, geese is usually BB or T, mallards #2, and teal and woodies #4, the cheaper stuff works just as well if you aim right and shoot well.
Thats what I do

Cory
Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM

i don't get it? how can you loose birds like that?
i guess since it has never happened to me it's... odd.

waterfowl is my favorite. i really don't like the idea of steel but, since that's what i can afford....
every bird i have ever hit was dead or pretty darn close to dead.(mallard size birds)

Kent Steel has been my best loads. i love 'em. but Federal and then Remington are close second and third placers.
let me know how the bis-tung-alloys-matrix work out.

after thought:
what's the range your shooting at?
pass shoot or over decoys?

les
Old 07-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Most of my shots last year were not necessarily passing shots but they were not the easiest shots in the world. I'm actually thinking that rather than focusing my time in effort in finding more expensive metals to shoot, I'll spend my time and money practicing more this summer as well as improving the way I set up my decoys and blind. The hope is that I'll be able to set up in a manner that provides more birds coming at me rather than from left to right or right to left; and practicing more, well, nothing need more be said on that I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

I would pattern your load,choke, and gun combo to see what kind of patterns you are getting.

I've found that with steel loads, increased velocity has made a huge difference for me. I've had good results with Winchester loads that are 3" of 1 1/8oz of #2 (#4 first few weeks) at 1,550fps. Patterns have been very good and cripples have gone way down. I like the same load in 3 1/2"with BB's for geese and late season ducks.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I reload my own shells and I reload #2 steel for both ducks and geese!
Old 07-28-2006, 12:54 PM

kent; then federal, but i really don't care... i'll kill them w/ anything!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:35 AM

Try some Kent Fasteel 3" #2's 11/8 oz loads at 1560 fps. Swing through the bird as soon as you get infront of the beak,,, pull the trigger!

My main duckhunt partner and I have hunted fowltogether for 20 years, we hunt very well together we dont even consider shooting at 40-50 yards,, steel just doesnt cut it at those ranges. old days when lead was legal let fly,, just not like that anymore! Get them into 25 yards and open up! Between us we probably kill 200+ ducks a year. And yes we probably make a half dozen or so 2-500+ yard retrieves every year,, sometimes its un-aviodable,, but it is your obligation to go after those birds!

Straight in shots are not the easiest shot too make for ALOT of people!!! its hard too determine how much if any lead required. Im right handed from right too left is easiest for me, left too right is difficult for me. straight in is also a very good shot for me.

I openned some federal shells last year too compare the innards too Fasteel,, Federal pellets were manufactured horribly(thin layer of steel spun into a pellet,, Fasteel is a solid metal bar folded over too form a pellet). You get what you pay for in waterfowl ammo!

Quick Reply: Ammo of Choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.