Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Ammo of Choice?

Old 08-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammo of Choice?

I am going to try hevi shot this year. I would check out their website I think its http://www.hevishot.com
Old 08-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I tried hevi shot last year. Found it not to be too different from steel, except it goes farther.

If I had my choice, I would probably shoot bismuth as it has seemed to pattern very well with my gun and from what I've seen and heard, it has a lot of similarities to lead. My issue with hevi shot and the others is that yes they are heavier and go further, but they are still very hard metals. Upon impact, all of it behaves very similar to steel. Again, I haven't tried it on game yet, but from what it seems, bismuth will behave more like lead causing more damage as it enters the cavity.

I have chosen to go with Kent's 1 1/4 oz loads of 3 for ducks and 1 for geese (couldn't swallow the cost of bismuth for waterfowl). We'll see how it comes out. I am going to be using the bismuth for upland game as my wife has said she doesn't want me bringing home any game shot with lead shot.

Good luck to all this season...
Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 PM

It really depends what type of duck your shooting for us...Hevishot works like a charm though, lots of $$
Old 08-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be interested to hear when anyone tries this new Hi-density Extended Range Winchester shot. It's advertised as 55% more dense than std. steel, harder hitting, etc.
http://www.winchester.com/products/newitems/xrwproduct.aspx

I imagine it'll be pricier, too. But if it's that much more effective than steel it might be worth the extra cost. We'll see. First, I need to burn up a couple of boxes of fast steel I've had for a year or so.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington Sportsmans Hi-Speed #4 1550fps
Old 08-30-2006, 05:48 PM

Ducks - Kent/Federal 2 3/4" #4's (Decoys/Timber) 3" #3's (Pass Shooting)
Geese - Kent/Federal 3" #3's (Decoys) or BBB (Pass Shooting)

Loaded the Blind Bag today...
Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Spike

ducks - Federal black cloud #2 3.5".

last year shot a woodduck at 80 yards withthis round. Using a benelli super nova full choke. Droped the duck like a ton of bricks. I would not recomened using a full choke because you miss a lot more at short rang, but thats all I had andI couldtake somelong shots. It also might just have been luck, as well.

So if you still would like to shoot ducks at long rang try switching chokes.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't care who you are and what you are shooting, you are going to cripple and losesome birds. If you are taking far shots, then you are going to lose more birds. Steel shot just doesnot kill well at longer ranges.I shoot Estate 3's in the timber and 3 1/2's in the field. I have been using them since 1995 and they have worked great.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Y'all this thread is over 2 years old.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:17 PM

Try to get you an assortment of different shells and just pattern your gun and see whatworks for you. I shoot the Black Cloud and I like them but I have a buddy that shoots Kent and some that shoot Winchester. Just gowith what you haveconfidence in and your pocket book can stand.

Quick Reply: Ammo of Choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.