Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Acrylic or Polycarbonate

Old 03-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Acrylic or Polycarbonate

I have a few polycarbonate goose calls such a Ward'sand Zink's Power Maximusthat I have used this past goose season, and had a pretty well. I was thinking about buying a Acrylic call for this coming season, but...What I'm wondering is the difference between these 2 materials? And if acrylic is better, what is it that makes it better? Less back pressure? Being "hand tuned"?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Acrylic or Polycarbonate

I have a buddy with an Acrylic zinc and it sounds reallygood, we for the most part use PC calls due to quality sound and price....
Old 03-23-2006, 12:36 PM

For geese I'm a fan of using acrylic calls. I blow a grounds pro super mag, and I love it.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:16 PM

I like the acrylic better for geese, too. It seems like I get better projection and volume from the acrylic than the pc.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:01 PM

Acrylic will give you a sharper and crisper tone. Wood is more mellow and true to life...as is delrin. Poly....well....it's poly. For water hunting, I
only use delrin...moisture has no effect. For the fields I use wood and acrylic
Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM

Acrylic is basically just another material. Hand turned acrylic will most often give you more range on a call. You can simply make more sounds on an acrylic call because the material will tolerate it.

Tone, pitch, volume, etc....will have much more to do with the reeds and the way your call is tuned to your calling style. I would be careful to generalize and say acrylic calls are louder, crisper, or whatever. An accomplished caller or call maker can make a call do whatever he wants no matter what the material. With polycarbonate, the limits are just a bit narrower.