Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Can I train a 3 year old lab to retrieve birds? >

Can I train a 3 year old lab to retrieve birds?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Can I train a 3 year old lab to retrieve birds?

Old 10-22-2002, 01:37 PM

Default Can I train a 3 year old lab to retrieve birds?

My 3 year old yellow lab, (Buck), is one of the best damn upland bird hunters I have ever seen. His father was 5 time national champ. But I can't get him to retreive a fallen bird, of the upland or waterfowl type. We never really had him trained by a pro, but we thought we did it the right way. We trained him with a dummy on land, and in the water. He would always fetch that, but never a fallen bird. He gets close sometimes in the field, but doesn't come through. For example, he will find the bird if we are upland hunting, sometimes pick it up, but then drop it right away. This is the same with waterfowl on land. We have yet to take him duck hunting in a boat, but when we do we are almost certain he will not fetch that either. Is it possible to send him to a school and have him trained to retrieve, because if that is the case, I will do it. But I think he is to old to be trained. Just a side note, he is very obidiant when it comes to everything else. Thanks for your help.

-Jackel
Old 10-22-2002, 03:35 PM

Default RE: Can I train a 3 year old lab to retrieve birds?

yes this is a really easy task. just tie a bird wing or feathers and scent on the dummy he is not use to feathers in his mouth work him with the dummy like you have been. if he still doesn't do it, put a small amount of feathers on the dummy and try again. then gradually add some more wing feathers, then when he is doing retrieves do a fake like you are going to throw the dummy instead throw a dead bird it works. i had to do this with a 2 year old chesapeake if you want more info call me at (608)758-2015 good luck

stateline outdoors

Edited by - STATELINE OUTDOORS WATERFOWL GUIDES on 10/22/2002 16:54:19
Old 10-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stateline has given you some good advive to try out. If it were me, however, I'd have the dog Force Fetched - if you have a pro FF your dog, it will usually ake at least 4 weeks -- sometimes a little longer, possibly less (but doubtful). Most pros charge in the range of $400 a month.

You can FF your dog yourself, but if you don't have someone who has FFd a couple (or more) dogs, it can be quite a daunting task for a "first timer".

Old 10-23-2002, 01:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Stateline has given you some good advive to try out. If it were me, however, I'd have the dog Force Fetched - if you have a pro FF your dog, it will usually ake at least 4 weeks -- sometimes a little longer, possibly less (but doubtful). Most pros charge in the range of $400 a month.

You can FF your dog yourself, but if you don't have someone who has FFd a couple (or more) dogs, it can be quite a daunting task for a &quot;first timer&quot;.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>I agree DOC Ed that is the only other thing to do

stateline outdoors
Old 10-24-2002, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

ya its never too late my friend has a sheppard cross with a ALOT of other dogs,, and he's 6 and we got him retreiving birds theis year with no trianing he loves hunting he will run down the birds anywhere in any grass, and bring them back somtiems not all the way but close enough
Brad
Old 10-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

good advice

Old 11-05-2002, 01:04 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I will try that dummie idea and let you know how it works.