Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

GEESE DECOYS

Old 01-19-2006, 02:28 PM

Default RE: GEESE DECOYS

In your opinion,what is the least number ofshells, full-bodies, or sillouettes would you need to have a chance at a good hunt?
I am a Texas goose hunter and the majority of our hunting is with rags.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:43 AM

I really dont know the site, but these things are THE BEST. The name of decoys are drop zone elites. They are real expensive but they are worth every penny.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:50 AM

http://www.fish-n-feathers.com/gear/elite_goose.htmlthat is the site for drop zone elitesreal hard core goose decoys
Old 01-20-2006, 06:32 AM

It really depends on the time of year. I can only tell you what I know from here in NY.

September is our nuisance season where birds are normally flying in small family groups. The same groups they hang in all year. We use no more than two dozen GHG full body decoys for this season. We don't put them all together either. Small groups of 3-4 birds scattered with enough of a landing zone.

When the regular season opens we do the same. As it progresses, we start adding more full bodies and shells to accommodate the migrating flocks. By the end of regular season, we're putting out everything we have.....doesn't matter what type of decoys they are, as long as they look good. We've hunted days with 4 dozen full bodies, 3-4 dozen shells, and 2 dozen silhouettes.

Second split we really have to watch how the birds react to the numbers we put out, but usually you're dealing with very wary migrators.....which means lots of decoys and not a lot of calling.

A lot of times, it doesn't really matter on numbers....but the quality of your decoys. 1 doz clean shells are going to pull more birds than 4 dozen full bodies that are covered in mud.