Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 How can I hunt geese without decoys >

How can I hunt geese without decoys

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

How can I hunt geese without decoys

Old 09-14-2004, 04:06 PM

Default How can I hunt geese without decoys

Hello, I've hunted ducks, but this year I wanted to try hunting geese plz help. How can I hunt geese without decoys and what methods can I use? Also when is a good time to hunt them either than early morning? Where is the best place to find geese in the times that you suggest?

thanks mark

P.S. I don't have a call for them either.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How can I hunt geese without decoys

Scout for them mid morning to noon in corn,alfalfa,wheat fields. Get in that field the next morning at about first light. Lay motionless and try to cover up with something that will blend in. It has worked before.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well you need to be exactly where THEY want to be.....meaning in the field they want to be, on the water that they want to be, or pasture, etc. My advice is try to locate and pattern them, obtain permission for small ponds and pastures are great for this type of hunting and get out there in the morning and stay there until midday movement ends. Here with it being warm after say 9 AM, id get on a pond or place where i have seen birds this time of day and wait for them to come to me. good luck!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

If you can pattern a flock that enters the same field low over trees or a fence line, it may be possible to wait in that area and ambush them. This has worked for me before, but you need to be exactly in the right spot at the right time because you will only get one chance.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:05 PM

I would say that your best option would be to scout out a roost and try to get permission to hunt whatever side they are flying off of the water from to feed.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

One of the best shoots I ever had was when a buddy and I got in a drainage ditch between two fields that were full of geese. There were small bunches constantly trading back and forth between the fields. It was a pretty windy day and the sound of the shots didn't carry very far so we didn't spook the main bunches off the fields. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. We just sat there in the grass, talking and laughing and shooting. It was great. Towards the end we got pretty picky about which geese to shoot at because we had so many opportunities.
It might be hard to get something exactly like that but if you can find a field or water body with birds in it and then see where others are coming from you can get in line and usually get a few shots.
Also, if you find a field full of geese you can often position a guy up wind of them and then get someone else to spook them off the field. They'll go into the wind so the guy upwind often gets some shooting.

Look to find them leaving water and heading for the fields in the morning. They usually leave once it's light. Their not as early risers as ducks. They'll often leave the fields and look for water around late morning or noon so if you can find water near a field you might be in good shape. They'll head back out to feed in late afternoon then back to the main roosting water body just before dark.

When we were kids we hunted a lot without decoys, basically pass shooting and jumping fields and we got quite a few birds. Windy days are great for pass shooting if the birds have to fly into the wind. My first goose was from windy day pass shooting. I sat on the front step after school with my shotgun as the geese headed back to the fields and a flock of snows came over fighting the wind. Right over the tree tops.
Ah, the good old days.

It can be done. Just get permission from the landowners.
Sometimes it's better than sitting in a field with a spread of dekes. It gives you a lot of potential options and you can always go where the birds are.
When you're in a field with dekes and the birds start piling into some other field nearby, you might as well pick up and go home. You may get a few stragglers, but not many.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

The technique is pass shooting and is widely used in Saskatchewan. Basically most guys sit on the water and take the birds coming and going...it does p off us field shooter's but really nothing we can do about it. If you plan to do this check the regs as a number bodies of water reuire you to be 500 meters from the shoreline. I would suggest you take a look at Indie lake, the west side of Blackstrap off Number 11 highway. This body is home to lots of waterfowl and does not have a 500 meter restriction. Other options would be the river system, which does impose a 500 meter restriction but plenty a goose has fallen flying over the tree tops along the river. (Outlook, Abredeen, Borden, etc)

Oh and you can only hunt geese in the morning until October 15th in most zones. If you can perdict the weather better than enviro canada can a cloudy or foggy day will usually provide the best for pass shooters, keeping the ceiling low and the birds too.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:29 AM

We have great luck just going down to the river that runs next to town.. We will usually set up on the banks, or on an island, and wait for the geese to fly overhead or down the river channel. We let out a few calls and they will circle around and drop to see where the calls came from. Usually we can fill our limit within an hour or two this way. With a two goose a day limit here we just dont see the point of making a big spread for a 10 minute hunt. But I will admit that spending a morning in the blind with good friends makes for a great day, we just have to pass up alot of shots and make a morning of it..
Old 10-02-2004, 10:45 PM

The problem with shooting geese over water, or as they leave or come back near the water, is that they will make a decision to leave the area permanently. If you try to identify a field they are going into and either lie down there well hidden, or spot some ambush site where you can take them coming in to the field or leaving it, then once you do spook them all they will do is switch to another field in subsequent days, so you can have some more chances, and others will still have hunts as well.