Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

starter set of decoys

Old 12-28-2005, 09:43 PM

Default starter set of decoys

What would be a good set, brand, or style to get a set of decoys for someone looking to get into goose hunting? I usually don't buy top of the line but I'm willing to spend extra money to make sure I get something that will last. I don't have any decoys right now. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:27 AM

Default RE: starter set of decoys

Final approach, greenhead gear, higdons, big feet. These are all good but your going to pay about 100.00 or so. (watch basspro and cabelas, other stores as well for sales ). Depending where you hunt and how warry the geese are you will need a good mix of shells and full bodies in a variety of poses (sentry, feeder, sleepers etc.)
Old 12-29-2005, 05:32 AM

Whats a good number of decoys to start with?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any fullbody will worrk the best for you. I like Bigfeet and the Avery GreenHead Gear decoys the best.

I like a spread with mixed stuff in them. Fullbodies, shells and maybe some Silos!!

2-5 dozen would be a great rig for a starter. I have 7 dozen but I have buddies that have 18-28 dozen and trust me you do not want to set that out by yourself!!

Old 12-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a starter, start off w/ a couple doz. your 1st year. Bigfeet dekes are pretty darn good, in fact, probably one of the best for the $.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also just getting into goose hunting. I would recommend buying a used set of goose dekes from someone. I'd have to work for about 3 weeks to pay for a new dozen of goose decoys. I just got two dozen full body shells (Carry-Lite) for 100 bucks with shipping included in that. They look good and should work just fine.

Check around in classifieds and the newspapers, you might be able to find a great deal. If not, you can go with the lower end "new" goose decoys, Flambeau's or something like that, and they will work fine for you. If you stay into it, later on when you get some more money...you can start getting Bigfoots and such.

Also hunted with my buddy last year on his duck lease off the Arkansas River. We had 12 shells out by a sleugh and near some planted winter wheat fields. We ended up having about 100 geese work us. So a dozen worked well. Now I'm up to 3 dozen decoys. 7-9 dozen goose dekes is pushing it where I'm from. Especially since we'll probably have to carry em in ON OUR BACKS and not have a truck with a trailor to drive right up to the spot. You must take all things into consideration.