Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

[Deleted]

Old 09-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2002, 06:12 AM

Default RE: How much should a lead a Mallard with a 12 ga?

Depends on how fast they are flying ie (coming in to decoys or just flying past). It also depends on how fast your shells are 1200 fps or 1475 or 1500, you just have to learn by experience. The more you shoot the easier it will get. When I started 50 plus years ago we shot only lead shot now there are a lot of choices and different velocities depending on a load. To this day I usually have trouble knowing what lead I took on a particular shot. I do know that a year ago on the opener I shot at several ducks that tried to back up. Then shortened my lead assuming I had shot to far in front. After that actually cut the heads off two that were at about 30 to 35 yards. As soon as the bead got to the head I was squeezing the trigger. The shells were Fiocchi #3 labeled at 1475 fps. Hope this will help you some and good luck.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:11 AM

Not only does it depend on speed of shot, but also movement of the bird, as well as pattern of your choke. Practice, practice, practice.

Jerry
DE Duck Hunter
Old 09-30-2002, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

It should all come natural when the birds come in. There are so many things that can affect this you can't say what the standard lead on a mallard is. You also have to be careful because if you worry too much about your lead and aim,you will surely miss. Just put that bead in front of their head,if it misses,try to fix it the next shot.

Without passion.....Why bother?
Old 10-01-2002, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

I would sugges some time on a skeet field shooting low gun. Shoot your target pass thru or pull away style ,either one or combo of both. Focus on your target and forget about your gun. DO NOT shoot sustained lead, that lead to measuring your lead and eventually stopping or slowing you gun.
Your brain is the best computer for figuring out lead and if you focus on the target be it clays or live birds ,with a little practice and good shooting form ,it will do what comes naturally and you'll be dropping those mallards in no time.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

I'll agree with everybody else. If you have to THINK about the lead, then you are not focused on the shot at hand. Practice, Practice, Practice. My best advise would be to pick out one type of shell and stick with it. If you go shoot skeet, it will throw you off with the lead shot. If it is any help, I shoot 1 1/4 lead reloads from March until the end of good dove hunting. Then go back to winchester super x steel 4's until March. I will sometimes switch shot size in the winter for other game but shoot the same velocity. don't mean to brag but two of us get mad sometimes if we miss one bird out of a 4-5 bird flock. Two of us have cut down 6 birds many times. There are just too many variables for a straight answer. But if I could offer one suggestion: Shoot the same shells each and every time and you will learn to point your gun instead of trying to guess where the shot will go. If you want realistic answers: pass shot in front of you 35 yards out: about 2.5 feet. Over you: about 2 feet. Coming at you above but not interested: about 1.5-2 feet. Landing from the front: shoot their feet. Landing from the side: give them aabout 1.5 feet. passing over the dekes thinkin about landing(3rd of 4th pass) about 1.5 feet. The upper birds when the flock lands: shoot the feet. The lower birds after that volley: shoot the heads. If they're flying away: shoot the butts. These are not exact figures, only compiled from a point and shoot method. Want to add in another equation? Which bird is your partner shooting at? News story at ten.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:20 PM

With experience, you will gain a feel for the appropriate lead to fit the situation. The best advice I can give is that if you miss on your first shot, increase your lead because you're probably shooting behind the bird. And be sure to follow through on your shots as that is another common mistake that will result in a sure miss.