Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Golden Retreiver For Duck Dog >

Golden Retreiver For Duck Dog

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Golden Retreiver For Duck Dog

Old 09-23-2002, 02:53 PM

Default Golden Retreiver For Duck Dog

I have always had Golden Retreivers for pets. I bought another dog about 7 months ago and started working with him for hunting(upland). He is now obediance trained, retreives wonderfully and knows some whisle and hand commands. I mentioned taking him to hunt next to my hunting buddies Labs. They swear that the hunting conditions are to harsh for the Golden and that he will freeze to death. I will admit I have not seen anyone personally using a Golden for waterfowl. I will be hunting mostly in Oklahoma. I plan to buy him a vest, however, I do not want to expose him to something that he is not equiped for.
What do you think?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:27 PM

Default RE: Golden Retreiver For Duck Dog

cm 22, I have a lab but my buddies have golden's and they do fine in the cold weather or just as good as most labs. Our weather here in arkansas is about the same oklahoma.
I think he will be fine !!!!!!
You might ask a Vet or a dog Tranier..
Good luck this year!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2002, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

Your golden will not freeze to death in OK. They swim through broken ice and even get frozen to the boat here and have not heard one complain yet. Just get him on some high quality chow early. I don't think the goldens have the web feet like some labs but they are strong swimmers.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:56 AM

Goldens do have web feet and your are right, they are strong swimmers. What type of chow do you recommend. Iames? Performance Exceed? Right now I'm feeding Purina Dog Chow.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:51 AM

I hunted with a Golden for 3 yrs. My buddies dog was one of the best retrievers that I have ever hunted with. They can take the coldest of colds and go until they drop. Thor got in water that I saw a Chessy refuse to get into. But any dog will start having problems after too much exposure to the cold!!

Gunner™
"If it flies....It dies!!"
Old 10-03-2002, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

In my experiences, just get your dog fat for the winter. Although not considered healthy for upland hunting at all, the extra fat will make him more bouyant and give him that extra energy to to get those 200 yard swim cripples back to the boat. Nothing fattens them up better than a deer roast boiled with 5 pounds of potatoes. Squirrel or any meat boiled with lots of cut potatoes will fatten him quickly no matter how active the dog is. If you don't have the freezer meat to give him, boil the potatoes and ad flavor like chicken or beef stock or dry dog food. But anyhow, those potatoes will fatten him fast. From what I've seen, if the dog is going to be in a boat, he needs to have a good lyer of fat. If you are hunting pits, he needs to be slim and trim even if water is nearby. If you mainly hunt uplands, don't fatten him. He will be alright for a few days of swimming through the ice. Just have a heater on hand in case needed. You know your dog better than anyone and know when he is at his limit. It is time to leave when he goes into an uncontrollable shake. Drake got his nuts froze to the deck of the boat last year. We put some soda out to unstick him and he immediately started sitting on a throw cushion. He was not ready to leave until the day was done.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:24 AM

Many times I've sent one of my Golden's into an ice crusted slough here in North Dakota. Oklahoma? ha The dog had to ride up front on the way out because it was too cold in the back. Just watch him for the shakes, then warm him up in a pickup or cover him with a blanket.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-09-2002, 01:42 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I'll be sure an tell my buddies that they do not know what they are talking about. They are great guys but sometimes a little hard headed. MOJO is doin' great. We are ready for some of that cold weather. I do still intend to buy him a vest. I'm just waiting to see how big he is going to get. He is a little over 7 months now.