Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

New DSLR Lens?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default New DSLR Lens?

Hey Guys,

looking to get a new lens for my DSLR. I currently shoot a Canon T3i with a 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5. I am looking to add a new lens to the bunch and am kinda torn on which direction to go. I mainly shoot fly fishing videos, and fishing photography. I am wondering if I should go for an Ultra Wide Angle lens, or a more telephoto lens (70-200mm). If I go with a wide angle lens does anyone have any input on either the Sigma 8-16mm or the Tokina 11-16mm?

If I go with a telephoto what would be a good one to look into? Canon 70-200 f4? Or should I forget about both and get a macro for some detailed shots of fish and flies?

Choices Choices Choices.....

Thanks,
Steven
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

While I can not give you an awfull lot of input as I am still learning how to use my Canon T3 I currently have a 70-300mm with image stabilizer.. What I have found is that taking pictures of fish in the water do not come out very good no matter which lens I am using. There is just to much reflection coming off from the water. So if trying to get a picture of fish still in the water you may want to purchase a filter for your lens first. Also keep in mind exactly how far away your subject is. The more powerfull lenses need more distance when shooting pics at least. Good Luck and I hope this helps you out some..
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

I don't have much experience with the wide angle lenses, but the canon 70-200 F4 is most definitely a great lens. Combined with your T3i, you will have a nice setup. This lens also handles a 1.4 TC very well, if you need the little extra reach. Yup, choices, choices, for sure.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Spike

Hi friends i recently bought a DSLR and recorded a video with it i would like to upload it on to my iPad but it's incompatible how can i convert it to a format supported by iPad a easy free option would be great..??