Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

When do you guys....

Old 08-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When do you guys....

Start filming stuff like full moons, foggy mist over a field in the A.M, other animals etc. for your video "fillers"?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When do you guys....

lol i was wonderin the same thing
Old 08-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

All the time. Tape is so cheap, you need to burn whenever you see something you think may be a cool shot for "B" roll or filler later. The key is keeping detailed logs so you can go back and find it later. You just never know when you may want to use things you've taped.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM

When to film these things?..... When you can! The goal is to truly represent the whole story, conditions, and activities as they happen during the hunt, so being aware of what is going on always is important! As a videographer, your only focusshould beto capture the hunt and to tell the story of conditions, experiences, etc. as they happen. So you need to be aware of what is going on and capture them as they happen and be ready to do so. There are alot of things that you can predetermine to capture for each hunt, like the sunrise or sunset, etc. this is should be in your daily filming schedule for each hunt and engrained to do so, from there the main thing is to capture the hunt as it happens, and to always be aware of things like various wildlife that may come along, showing the conditions of the hunt like foggy, raining, windy, etc. So when to film these things?..... As they happen! Being the videographer is tough work and alot of it, to do it right!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter2

When to film these things?..... When you can! The goal is to truly represent the whole story, conditions, and activities as they happen during the hunt, so being aware of what is going on always is important! As a videographer, your only focusshould beto capture the hunt and to tell the story of conditions, experiences, etc. as they happen. So you need to be aware of what is going on and capture them as they happen and be ready to do so. There are alot of things that you can predetermine to capture for each hunt, like the sunrise or sunset, etc. this is should be in your daily filming schedule for each hunt and engrained to do so, from there the main thing is to capture the hunt as it happens, and to always be aware of things like various wildlife that may come along, showing the conditions of the hunt like foggy, raining, windy, etc. So when to film these things?..... As they happen! Being the videographer is tough work and alot of it, to do it right!
I guess my question should have been, do you guys film stuff like this "pre-season" and edit it into your hunting videos? Like tonight, right at dusk the moon was bright orange and HUGE.....I wish I would of had my camera. I know you can't film in the woods or whatever right now and try to edit it into a Nov. deer hunt in the midwest, but maybe early Oct when things are still green?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

If you think you can work something into a hunt then shoot it. I don't think there is a set time to gather b-roll. It kindof depends on how you want the final product to look. I for one don't add anything into my footage that I didn't get at the time of the hunt. Rarely if ever will you see any staged scenes in my footage. I shoot these incase I sell footage or loan it to someone else, but my productions usually do not use it. Because of this, I don't film alot of b-roll outside the course of hunting, scouting, or hunt preperation.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skin_dog1

If you think you can work something into a hunt then shoot it. I don't think there is a set time to gather b-roll. It kindof depends on how you want the final product to look. I for one don't add anything into my footage that I didn't get at the time of the hunt. Rarely if ever will you see any staged scenes in my footage. I shoot these incase I sell footage or loan it to someone else, but my productions usually do not use it. Because of this, I don't film alot of b-roll outside the course of hunting, scouting, or hunt preperation.
Ya, it prob. would simplify things to just shoot b-roll during actuall hunting or scouting trips, knowing your going to film more than a few minutes. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Typical Buck

Just shoot everything you think would look good and later you can go back and see if it fits with the clip you're editing.........I taped the moon last night, cause it was full and looked really cool, and how I did it ,it can be used anytime of the year because you don't see the trees or the ground, just clouds, moon and sky.......
Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 PM

I don't shoot any canned footage, only footage that relates to the hunt itself (scouting, hunt, post hunt, any other hunt related footage) to use in the hunt itself. Now any other footage you like is good stuff to use for promos, intro, or montages, etc. Hey it's your video, you can do whatever you like! But it's always good to truly represent the hunt itself.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

A nuthatch on a tree branch...a red squirrel, a coon, a rabbit...a coopers hawk on its prey...a flock of red-winged black birds gathering in a cat-tail swamp......

I shoot it all...and it provides for sweet background audio and real life footage.