Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Nikon D40X SLR or Cannon EOS Rebel XTi????? >

Nikon D40X SLR or Cannon EOS Rebel XTi?????

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Nikon D40X SLR or Cannon EOS Rebel XTi?????

Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nikon D40X SLR or Cannon EOS Rebel XTi?????

My wife wants a new digital for X-Mas. Anyone have any thoughts on these 2 models???

1. a Nikon D40X Digital SLR, 10.2
OR
2.a Canon EOS Rebel XTi, 10.1

She thinks she wants an 18-125mm lens. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike
Old 11-21-2007, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Nikon D40X SLR or Cannon EOS Rebel XTi?????

Do you plan on getting more lenses as time goes on? If you are, I would look at the lense lineup of Canon and Nikon and decide based off their lense list. I was swaying between the 30d and the D80 and ended up going with the Canon. So far I am very happy with it...I didn't buy it because of the body though...I bought it cause I liked the lenses Canon had for wildlife photography better at a better price...both are a super camera...either way I am sure you will be pleased
Old 11-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

i have the nikon and i love it, but i am a nikon fan other than cannon. Cannon does make a nice slr though
Old 11-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

If you buy the Nikon, upgrade to the D-80. More lens choices then compared to the D40.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:23 PM

I think Cannon EOs Rebel because it is real quiet... but i never tried the nikon Slr so i dont know
Old 11-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/

Kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing. You/she will not be disapointed with either one.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

The D80 is a better upgrade, but it also comes with a price.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, the D80 is a step up from the D40 but for an entry-level DSLR you can't go wrong with it. I picked one up a few months ago before my trip to Alasaka and I LOVE it. I opted for the 6.1 MP D40 over the 10.1 MP D40x simply because of the price difference. A lot of people think more megapixels = better photo, which isn't always the case. And unless you plan on blowing up your photography to poster-sized prints 10 MP is overkill. Most people are using photos for the web and e-mail, which means they get resized from 5000 pixels wide down to 640 or 800 pixels wide. The D80 is also quite a bit larger and heavier, making it more of a pain in the butt to carry around. I tote mine in my pack when I'm hunting a lot, which was another factor in my decision.

Again, you have more lens options with the D80 but in the future more and more companies are going to be producing AF-S lenses to fit the D40s and future cameras of the sort, so your options will be increasing. And again, for entry-level photography most people are fine with the 18-55 mm lens that comes with the camera kit. I personally justed picked up a Sigma 55-200 to give me a little bit more range for $150 and have also been happy with that as well. Down the road when I want to get more advanced I may pick up a D80 body and a good F2.8 lens, but for now that combo I have works great for what I'm doing, which is the same as the majority of people - family functions, parties, friends, some scenery/landscape photos, etc. Basic stuff for the most part.

In any case, I did all the price comparisons between the Nikon and Canon, read all the reviews, held them in my hand, and ultimately decided on the Nikon. So far, so good.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Spike

I have a Rebel, and it is great! One thing a guy who is apro. photographer told me is the Canon pixels are actually larger and have less space between pixels than most other companys. I do know that when you blow up the canon pictures with editing software, they seem to be clearer than others. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Spike

Nikon and Canon both make great cameras. I currently have a full Canon setup, but would never have any problems going Nikon.

The D40 is the higher quality camera out of those two I think... The Rebel line from Canon is their beginner cameras. I have three EOS Rebels (two 35mm and one digital)

I used to shoot pro (many years ago) now I'm just an "advanced armature" since I don't get paid for it anymore (retirement is good )

Quick Reply: Nikon D40X SLR or Cannon EOS Rebel XTi?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.