Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Camcorder Recomendation's >

Camcorder Recomendation's

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Camcorder Recomendation's

Old 11-05-2007, 06:22 AM

Default Camcorder Recomendation's

I am looking to get another camcorder. I am looking for advice for a quality cameraat a reasonable price.I will be editing also so looking for a unit that is easy to transfer to the Computer for that. Another thing was battery life. I have never had a camera that had any type of battery life. Nothing i hate more that dead battery when you really need it. So any info on whay you use, what you do and don't like about it would be awesome. Thanks,

Eric
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Camcorder Recomendation's

Oh boy. Being an old cynic makes me love posts like this especially when they cover so much general ground and area----vague, vapid, and have no meaning........but I'll hold my tongue----for now.
Look to your own pocket book for the cost of the equipment that you want.
Stick with tape as much as possible and not a hard drive or mini dvd camera.
Attempt to find your model of camera with IEEE\firewire control to your computer but then your computer will still have to be set up to ACCEPT video.....which means a firewire\video card.
Forget 'LUX'....it doesn't mean anything in the long run--your camera should have 'MANUAL' controls so that you may learn how to shoot in low light, focus, and zoom MANUALLY.

Your BATTERY LIFE is a control in your hands and comes from LEARNING how to use your equipment by knowing when to let your camera 'SLEEP', when to turn it on\off, knowing what systems inside your camera SUCK YOUR BATTERY DOWN, and also knowing how to properly charge\discharge your battery and to CARRY A SPARE\S.......!!

Bring on the slams......I can take it.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with everything pm69442 said..........you really need to narrow down your objectives alittle and let us know your goals and budget to get something other than a vague response, but Pat laid down the basics really well, where you go from there is a list of variables.........give some more info so we can give some more direct advise.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:23 AM

My budget will be 500.00 + or - a few bucks.

I guess what i am after is just a good camera that is easy to carry for filming hunts and just getting critters on tape. I will be filming myself and clients.

My question in the first post was to try and see what people use....Tape, MiniDv, etc. and why. I just want to learn and try to get what is best.

Also what is the difference between digital and optical zoom? which is more important in your opinion.

I will be downloading the footage to my PC for editing. I am not very good with the electronic end so this is why i was wanting something that is relitively easy to transfer. But i am seeing that most all the new cameras come with all the cables to do this job. I have windows movie maker on my pc but will get an editing program if need be.

if you need more info feel free to ask .

Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Windows Movie Maker will work fine. Don't worry about the 'difference' between digital and optical zoom----just buy for OPTICAL. Get a camera that you can switch to manual controls for several reasons--battery conservation & creative control. (I would personally stay away from JVC brand).
It really doesn't matter what model of camera you buy----it's the learning and KNOWING how to use it creatively. There will ALWAYS be shortcomings in all equipment--you just have to learn to work around them.
Study videos of how they're shot, why they do certain things certain ways. (and not just hunting videos). Study video websites such as DVInfo, MOVIEMAKER, Creative Cow, etc.etc. to learn more about VIDEO........not hunting. Heck, the hunting is the EASIEST part of putting together a hunting video.
THE PRODUCTION is the REAL WORK.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: pm69442

Windows Movie Maker will work fine. Don't worry about the 'difference' between digital and optical zoom----just buy for OPTICAL. Get a camera that you can switch to manual controls for several reasons--battery conservation & creative control. (I would personally stay away from JVC brand).
It really doesn't matter what model of camera you buy----it's the learning and KNOWING how to use it creatively. There will ALWAYS be shortcomings in all equipment--you just have to learn to work around them.
Study videos of how they're shot, why they do certain things certain ways. (and not just hunting videos). Study video websites such as DVInfo, MOVIEMAKER, Creative Cow, etc.etc. to learn more about VIDEO........not hunting. Heck, the hunting is the EASIEST part of putting together a hunting video.
THE PRODUCTION is the REAL WORK.
I'm also looking to buy a camcorder for filming hunts. Why the suggestion to stay away from JVC, just curious.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

the new issue of VIDEOMAKER MAGAZINE has camera reviews in it. You might be able to pull it up online--if not request the free copy and if still interested subscribe to it. It's the best magazine I've seen dedicated to the CONSUMER\PROSUMER industry in explaining the workings of the video business and related topics of lighting, audio, editing, etc. etc.
I've been shooting professionally for over 20 years and still read it.....heck, it's the only magazine besides bowhunting mags I read cover to cover!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:31 PM

THANKS FOR THE INFO., pm69442...