Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Help me decide which video camera... >

Help me decide which video camera...

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Help me decide which video camera...

Old 12-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me decide which video camera...

I've been looking at Canon GL2 & XL1, & XL2. I can't decide if I can handle not having a display. I've saved up plenty of cash I need help!!
Old 12-24-2006, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me decide which video camera...

I would personally get a sony pd-170. Its simple and takes awesome video quality.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:01 AM
Spike

XL2 by far if you have the money! Do some reading on it GREAT camera! Sony PD-170 good too! Less money.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

From what I had seen tested at my work site I would only purchase the panasonic brand. The cameras were tested in a lot of elements and panasonic out did all of them by a long shot.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Spike

What's your output? Do you need the 24p feature on the XL2? We have both the XL2 and the PD 170 and ourrental clients prefer thePD170 over the XL2. Some prefer the XL2 but most like the Sony.

For my own use I have a Panasonic GS 150 and love it. I wish changing settings were a little easier but what do you do I wanted a 3CCD camera under $500.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:17 AM

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

I've been looking at Canon GL2 & XL1, & XL2. I can't decide if I can handle not having a display. I've saved up plenty of cash I need help!!
Hey, did you get a new camera yet? If so, which one did you decide on?

Just wondering, cause I need a new camera really bad. My old C-VHS just aint cutting it anymore. It's so noisy! The noise from the camera wheels actually can be heard on what has been recorded. It's terrible for videoing hunts!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Spike

We got a Canon GL2 about 8 months ago to use while filming demo DVD's for our outfitting business. It worked finefor about 2 months,then kept giving a "clean heads" or "Remove cassette" command. It had to be sent back to the factory to be repaired. Then when we got it back, it worked fine, but all the tapes recorded before sending it back would not play in the camera anymore. Probably due to the realignment of the heads. But still, we lost all that footage ( about 12 tapes full )which cost us not only the demo DVD for this year, but our annual Hunting video also.
After this incedent, I've read and heard a lot ofthis same problemhappening with other peopleand the GL2.
Just thought I'd let you know and maybe prevent this from happening to someone else.

Steve,

www.outdoor-encounters.com

Old 01-18-2007, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know as I stated above we tested a lot of different video cameras. They were tested in heat, steam, and dust to monitor some of the equipment at the plant. Most cameras died within three months! A few made it to 6 months, but, the panasonic that was used here a year later and was still running. That convinced me that for my money I would stick with the panasonic ones. The camera was taken down so as to fix a more permanent lense to monitor the things needed. To date 8 monitors were installed all under these conditions with one having rain water dripping on it from a leaky roof. All cameras that are there are all panasonic. So that I will leave up to you to decide on, good luck!
Old 01-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

I know as I stated above we tested a lot of different video cameras. They were tested in heat, steam, and dust to monitor some of the equipment at the plant. Most cameras died within three months! A few made it to 6 months, but, the panasonic that was used here a year later and was still running. That convinced me that for my money I would stick with the panasonic ones. The camera was taken down so as to fix a more permanent lense to monitor the things needed. To date 8 monitors were installed all under these conditions with one having rain water dripping on it from a leaky roof. All cameras that are there are all panasonic. So that I will leave up to you to decide on, good luck!

While I am not questioning your test results....you do realize that conservatively speaking, 90% of outdoor(hunting & fishing) videos are taped with Sony and Canon video equipment?

BTW, my Sony`s have held up like troopers in less than pleasant weather for quite some time now.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

Sorry for not addressing your question on my last post.......

If you are intending to use this camera for hunting type videos, my honest opinion is to NOT choose any of the cameras you listed.

While those Canon models all have some really excellent qualities, each one of them lacks the two most important traits needed for quality hunting video.

1. Pro Audio
2. Horrible low light capabilities.

Yes, you can peak the gain, and slow down shutterspeed to but some additional minutes, but it comes at the cost of tape quality.

For hunting video purposes, unless you are ready to spend in the neighborhood of 15K, the Sony PD170 was the clear choice.

Canon has now come out with another camera, and after giving it a serious workout, I would not hesitate to add it to my camera collection for hunting.

This new Canon has it all, IMO.......

20x optical zoom
Image stabilization that Canon is famous for.(can be turned off when camera is mounted)

Twin XLR ports for pro audio
Vastly improved LCD screen.
And possibly the biggest quality........0.4 lux rating. This means that you can video QUALITY footage longer than you can see to hunt.

Here is a link to the new Canon.....it is one sweet puppy!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=1881&A=details&Q=&sku=447098&am p;is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Quick Reply: Help me decide which video camera...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.