Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW >

HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

Old 07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

most all of the first season was shot with either a xl1 or gl2. I'm filming with an xha1 now and use the hunter cam cradle.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:21 AM

Dont get me wrong-I am not bad mouthing bow hunting whatsoever..Its just thats all you see now when you go to a outdoor show on tv,its either that or a show with a tc encore.Its all about the money and all about sponsors vs HUNTING .
Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skin_dog1

most all of the first season was shot with either a xl1 or gl2. I'm filming with an xha1 now and use the hunter cam cradle.
cool, you have a quality show going, hopefully you will keep expanding
Old 07-06-2008, 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: 700Rem

Dont get me wrong-I am not bad mouthing bow hunting whatsoever..Its just thats all you see now when you go to a outdoor show on tv,its either that or a show with a tc encore.Its all about the money and all about sponsors vs HUNTING .
Unfortuneately it takes MONEY and SPONSORS to be able to afford to have a HUNTING show on TV![:@] Those sponsors don't pay to have someone not use their product and do what they want, they are paying to put their product in front of potential customers, and so the hunters are obliged to use their product to harvest the game with. There is a place for all of it... Bowhunting, Gun hunting, Muzzleloading, Traditional Archery, Spears! [8D], etc. As long as there is a company that makes the equipment and is willing to pay the money to sponsor and there is target audience, then that is what it is! Pick the shows you like best and watch them, they keep ratings and the ones that have the least ratings will more than likely eventually lose their sponsorship and the show will dry up and die! That the way it always will be! That is why new ones are always popping up, someone has an idea or thinks they can do something better than what they see, sometimes they are right, but most the time they are wrong!Ah the beauty of captialism!! Every once in a while you have a show that comes along with an idea that revolutionizes the industry for several years, like what Dream Season did, that really sparked the reality type hunting craze and killed off alot of the canned hunt, fenced hunt garbage out there. People wanted more reality and to see how the average type hunter would succeed on video. I think that idea has peaked and now we are over saturated with Dream Season type shows, so I really see a trend that will come about and change it up again, what that is, is TOP SECRET!! [8D] What ever you do, it has to be relateable to the average hunter, it has to have good quality footage, the story has to be shown and portrayed in a easy to watch manner, and you have to be able to sell it to sponsors! So if you can unlock that combination in whatever you are attempting to put on air, you might have a winner! [8D] Good luck and with out dreamers and doers we wouldn't have what we have today, so go for it!
Old 08-23-2008, 10:14 PM

Sorry to resurrect an almost 2 month old thread but I wanted to say that I have enjoyed filming my own hunts with a consumer camera but I don't intend for it to be on TV. As far as TV hunting goes, I've come to enjoy Billy Molls' "The Modern Day Mountainman" show on The Pursuit Channel. He's a guide with a camera and has essentially turned his "home videos" into a TV show. He told me that he frequently uses a little Sony HC26. I suppose it shows that you don't always have to have a $3000+ camera to film your hunts.

Can anyone recommend a good production service that can take your home video footage and edit it into a DVD with some music and graphics? This is strictly for personal use so I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars for a DVD. I've seen a couple of places on the internet that perform the service for $300-$800 but I don't know about their quality and value.

About the bow hunting compared to gun hunting shows, it does seem that a majority of the shows today are bow hunting shows. I don't bow hunt but I don't have anything against it. Having said that, I do get tired of watching bow hunts where the animals have to be left for hours, and sometimes overnight, when the temps are in the 70's, 80's, and even 90's. That is a pure waste of meat and it seems like the animals are just killed for television purposes. This happens way too often with some of the more well known "TV hunting personalities" too! I do know that there are gun hunters who make bad shots but you do see more clean and instant kills with guns.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Fork Horn

try www.mannionoutdoors.com Seth is a great editor and it's hard to beat his rates. His email is [email protected]
Old 08-24-2008, 02:29 PM

How much footage are you talking about having edited?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

I offer editing services....................check out my rates and samples of my work @ www.pronghornproductions.net

Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas. I've got several hours of duck hunting and deer hunting but I'm not worried about those right now. I'm going on my first elk hunt in October and I will probably want to have it edited into a nice DVD. Just guessing....I may wind up with 1 to 2 hrs of raw footage of the trip.

Scott
Old 08-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, you need a drive and passion more than anything if you truly want to do something in the hunting industry. I had a vision to make a different kind of hunting video. I started with a Canon GL2 camera and 9 months later released our first video - "Beyond the Kill". If you want something bad enough, have the determination and work ethic to back it up - you can accomplish anything your heart desires. I'm living and hunting proof!

Shoot straight and don't let anyone stand in the way of your dreams!

Quick Reply: HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.