Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW >

HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

Old 06-21-2008, 08:22 AM

Default RE: HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

I've been thinking of doing the hunting show thing for a while now. I have a friend in the t.v. production field. He said that he would produce my show with all of his professional equipment. It will cost about $1500 per show. This can be financed by hitting the local outdoor shops for sponsorships. They can put you into contact with major named brands of hunting equipment for further funding opportunities. I feel this is the best way to get a professional product on the air without having to purchase, and learn how to use, very expensive and complicated equipment. If you decide the "hunting show" thing isn't for you after a while, then all you've waisted is your sponsor's money.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will have to buy your air time as well. The Sportsman Channel doesn't put you in their line up because you are great, they charge for air time.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: garygremillion

I've been thinking of doing the hunting show thing for a while now. I have a friend in the t.v. production field. He said that he would produce my show with all of his professional equipment. It will cost about $1500 per show. This can be financed by hitting the local outdoor shops for sponsorships. They can put you into contact with major named brands of hunting equipment for further funding opportunities. I feel this is the best way to get a professional product on the air without having to purchase, and learn how to use, very expensive and complicated equipment. If you decide the "hunting show" thing isn't for you after a while, then all you've waisted is your sponsor's money.
I can tell you this.......if you were asking for my sponsorship dollars with that attitude you wouldn't get very far..........also no company i have ever approached will just "give" you money to go out and "try it" you have to have a professional resume' and even then most companies already have enough"pro's" using thier products and monies.

Also I have to ask, who will be running the video camera if you don't want to learn how to use or purchase "expensive and complicated equipment"........from what you are saying all you have to do is go out and hunt and sponsors will give you money and networks will air your show for free

Good luck with that though..........
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Breaking into the TV business is a unique challenge. I spent the last year calling on alot of different sponsors. I was working with an existing show on two major networks. Each "Pro-Staff" was required to raise a certain dollar figure in sponsorship money. I called everyone you can think of and spoke to many retail stores. I have never been treated so rudely by alot of well known companies. Some of the largest names were the worst. They know you need their money, they don't need you and will gladly tell you. Remember that is for an existing show, not someone with no show.
You can get a 1/2 hour slot once a week on The Sportsman Channel for about $120k a year, so you have to factor that into your costs. The big sponsors are really hard to get to. A good spot to go for some sponsorship opps is The ATA show, but if you head to The Shot Show be ready to get treated real rude if the vendors don't know you are coming.

Jake
Old 06-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Man you make it sound so easy. Let me know when your show is on. Most half year shows have 13 weeks of new shows and 13 weeks of repeats. You'll need at the bare bones 13 successful hunts at the rate of one hunt per week. Who's going to pay for those hunts? They cost a lot more than 1500.00 a week. People aren't going to give you jack if yo don't already have something to show them. Then like mentioned before, you have the cost of buying the time slot. If you think you can produce a show with local shops funding it, you've gotta lot to learn. I'll be watching for your show! LOL!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You Tube is not exactly "Big Time"....and why have you not came back and responded to the thrashing your post is getting if this were to be legit? Oh, I know why......

ORIGINAL: mrboutwell

ALL YOU NEED IS VIDEO CAMERAS, SOME EXTRA EQUIPMENT,AND A GOOD EYE, START YOUR OWN TV HUNTING SHOW(PUT ON YOU TUBE)OR TAPE YOUR GUESTS HUNTS, MAKE THEM A DVD TO REMEMBER,JUST ADD YOUR PRODUCTIONTO THE COST OF THE HUNT, THEY WILL LOVE IT,IF YOU WANT TO GO BIG TIME OR SMALL STARTING OUTLET ME NO ,I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU OUT.EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

Old 06-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Spike

Not to mention there are people on this forum who are famililar with and involved in the industry that may correct him even more. If I wanted to start a show I would come here to look for the information to do it right. Maybe he should have done the same thing.
ORIGINAL: solocamcan

You Tube is not exactly "Big Time"....and why have you not came back and responded to the thrashing your post is getting if this were to be legit? Oh, I know why......

ORIGINAL: mrboutwell
Not to mention there are people on this forum that are really familiar and involved in the industry that may correct him even more. If I wanted to do a show I would come here looking for the information needed to do it correctly. Maybe he should have done the same thing.

ALL YOU NEED IS VIDEO CAMERAS, SOME EXTRA EQUIPMENT,AND A GOOD EYE, START YOUR OWN TV HUNTING SHOW(PUT ON YOU TUBE)OR TAPE YOUR GUESTS HUNTS, MAKE THEM A DVD TO REMEMBER,JUST ADD YOUR PRODUCTIONTO THE COST OF THE HUNT, THEY WILL LOVE IT,IF YOU WANT TO GO BIG TIME OR SMALL STARTING OUTLET ME NO ,I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP YOU OUT.EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

Old 06-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Spike

WOW!!!! These are the people who should not be involved in the outdoors. And thanks for WASTING our industries money on you wanting to be in the spotlight for your minute of glory.
ORIGINAL: garygremillion

Old 06-29-2008, 02:36 PM

it might take awhile but if half you guys are worried about getting the vids in on time with the weeks...just do 3 years of filming right there if you get6 good edited hunts=2 hunts a year...in then your set to have a show once a week inNov/Dec or what ever......then the next year mabysponsors will look at those vids andget a deal..not only, that hunting guilds will ask you tohunt on there land for advertisement now you can get 2 more good films....and the filming just keeps on rolling
Old 06-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bowhunter1591

it might take awhile but if half you guys are worried about getting the vids in on time with the weeks...just do 3 years of filming right there if you get6 good edited hunts=2 hunts a year...in then your set to have a show once a week inNov/Dec or what ever......then the next year mabysponsors will look at those vids andget a deal..not only, that hunting guilds will ask you tohunt on there land for advertisement now you can get 2 more good films....and the filming just keeps on rolling
that made absolutely no sense to me. could you explain it againin a different way?

Quick Reply: HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.