Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 What gear are you using? >

What gear are you using?

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

What gear are you using?

Old 10-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What gear are you using?

Okay so as many of you know, I'm a newbie when it comes to videotaping my hunts. Although I guess that isn't totally true - I did video my dad shooting both a black bear and a moose when I was12 years old with his old Sony Handycam 8mm, but nothing serious.

So this year we, as a company, picked up a Canon GL-2 with a shotgun mic (Audio Technica), a Lone Wolf camera arm, an extra battery, some tapes, and we're on a mission to kill some deer on film.

To this point, my opinion is that this is a lot of work! This camera takes up a lot of room in my backpack and requires me to be a lot more careful when I'm tossing it in and out of my truck, or pulling it up into my treestand. It's also a lot more noise! Setting up the arm, making sure it's level, and getting the camera on it all require a lot of additional noise and movement that I'm not used to. Usually you just climb up into your stand, hang up your backpack, pull up your bow, nock an arrow, and hunt.

I haven't gotten any footage yet, but I'm working on it. I will also be taking turns filming with and hunting with HNI Pres Todd Graf, not just self-filming my rather uneventful hunts. That's an even more exciting adventure - two people, twice the noise, twice the scent, twice everything! I have a newfound respect for the guys who do this for a living - and manage to do it well. Its truly an amazing feat to kill any animal on film, let alone a B&C buck with a bow. That's awesome.

So that's my story for now. I used some H.S. No-Mar tape to camo my arm last weekend - and a few pieces of the camera as well. It just didn't feel very "hunting" to me. Today I'm going to mount my Bogan fluid head on and I should be set for the weekend (I hope).

Here's a picture of the new toy.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What gear are you using?

Like you Justin, I've been using a small consumer video camera for several years. But this is the first year, that I've been able to use a professional setup to take good footage. With a video camera, hunting now has turned into a whole new dimension. My wife has been out every day hunting with me so far. She's the camera "Wo"man.

This year I am using a Sony PD-170 camera with 501 Fluid Head. I have a custom built camera arm, which extends out about 4 1/2 feet. I also use a Varizom LANC controller, with Sennheiser wireless mics.

Here's a picture of Casi looking for deer, and ready to video tape. This is the only stand I have, where I am above the camera. Otherwise, the camera is always above me.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Joey, you're a wee bit more advanced than we are.

Just out of curiosity, how do you like (or does she like) the LANC controller? I've been contemplating picking one up, along with an arm that has more sections. The Lone Wolf are is awesome for self-filming because its nice and compact and light and easy to set up, but leaves some to be desired for being an actual cameraman. A lot of times I wish it had more length to get around the tree further.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still learning as welll!!!

The LANC controller is nice to have. With the controller, you never have to look at the focus or zoom control, as they are right there, on the fuid head arm. Using the controls on the camera itself is less convenient. It also saves on the amount of movement.

I'll send you some more info on the camera arm.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a very old Hatachi camarathat i havent used in yrs .So between that& what i have read here- looks like i need to upgrade- someday.

Thanks for the added forums
Old 10-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Sony Dsc- F707. Still Pictures (with flash) orInfrared (for total darkness) and Moving Pictures (withsound).

[/align]
Old 10-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

I use a Canon Optura 20. It takes both stills and video. It's light compact and will fit into my hunting pack. I carry a lightweight tripod, remote control, and spare batteries. I also have a Canon Powershot A75 that I use for evryday use.
The great thing is both cameras use the same software and can upload to my many computers quickly. The remote comes in real handy because I hunt by myself most of the time and is a breeze to get pictures of me and my game before it's quartered and packed out.

If you look in this picture you can see the remote in my hand as I took this pic myself.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a Sony Handycam DVD 92 for filming. This is my first year filming my hunts and I've been able to capture some awesome footage so far. Watch a 5 pt. chase a doe and make a scrape last weekend, then just tonight I was able to get my first turkey kill on video. I was sitting in a DB for 10 minutes and 10 turkeys walked up and I shot the biggest one at 12 yards with my bow.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am SO glad you guys added this forum! This is my first year videoing, and I'm having lots of fun doing it. I have loads to learn and I am anxiously looking forward to it!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:37 PM

I use a Canon XL1s for video and a Canon 30d for still shots. I useone or the otheralmost every day of the year.

Quick Reply: What gear are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.