Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

which state?

Old 12-17-2004, 10:43 AM

Default which state?

If you could live in any state you wanted, with your decision being based entirely on your hunting, which state would you live in and why?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Default RE: which state?

South Dakota by far. I hunt everything that flys. Everybody is aware of the pheasant population, but the grouse, ducks and geese can be outstanding shooting as well. Also they have a pretty long hunting season as well. It would be to some advantage to live there so there would be a chance of securing private ground to hunt on, you would be in the area and able to offer helping out on the farm and getting to know the people instead of being a stranger knocking on there door.It would be unimaginable to me to be around so many pheasants year long, what a treat it would be to be able to train your dogs on wild birds. I probably couldn't keep a job around there due to me calling in sick so much chasing ditch parrots. I find myself daydreaming of the land of many pheasants all the time year round.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:10 PM

That is a good question, but I am torn between two states. Nebraska and Montana, I live in and grew up in Nebraska and the hunting seasons here are becoming longer every year, and hunting opportunities are pretty good, but Montana has better big game hunting available. South Dakota's pheasant season is one month shorter than Nebraska's and I believe the farmers in Nebraska haven't resorted to leasing all their land for pheasant hunting so they would be very friendly and helpful. This is just my choice.

Good luck and happy hunting
Old 12-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Spike

South Dakota for pheasant and grouse hunting, no question about it.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

As far as bird hunting goes there is one answer, ND. Great populations of birds, Ruffs, Huns, Sharps, Ditch Parrots. How could a guy go wrong? Give me a job and I would move there in a heart beat.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-24-2004, 07:47 AM

Louisiana and Mississippi also have some pretty exciting hunting, though the summers there can be horrendously hot.

In SW Louisiana there are plenty of doves, ducks, geese, some quail, rails, snipe, and most of the nation's population of woodcock which are a real hoot to hunt with dogs. There's also a lengthy deer season with liberal limits.

Mississippi (and La too) along the Mississippi river from about Natchez northward also has some pretty exciting duck hunting in flooded timber. If you've never experienced it, it is a lot of fun. As for deer in Mississippi, the hunting starts in October and ends in late January with a season limit of 8 or 9 animals, several of which can be bucks. I've not done much wing shooting in Mississippi.

Good topic for a thread QTompkins!

El Gringo