Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

auto vs. over and under

Old 12-27-2004, 05:41 PM

Default RE: auto vs. over and under

jeeezzzz im pretty damn harsh !

!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Spike

Where you from Dan? I can certainly understand your taste for O/U's if you mostly chase ruffians. Although the very reason O/U's might be the best gun for your use confuses me a little about your distaste for sxs's. I too thought O/U was the way to go once, and maybe it is...I really don't know. I do know though that a good auto will put just as many birds on the table as a good O/U which puts just as many birds on the table as a good pump which puts just as many birds on the table as a good sxs.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

It all has to do with looking down the barrel with whichever eye is dominate, etc. Point your finger and close one eye then open and close the other. Finger jumps tells you its not your dominant eye. When looking down the barrel of a sxs, you normally have to adjust your lead slightly depending upon which barrel your shooting. That's why most skeet guns are O/U. Don't wanna fuss with it.

I like O/U vs. autos because I like all the traditional hunting stuff and pretty engraving. A successful hunt for me would be a single pheasant while letting dog out. So, not much of a meat getter. BTW, easier to collect hulls with a glove and a O/U than digging out from the mud with an auto.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:03 AM

huntingmandan-
Alright ...taking off the gloves. You can't get a true double unless it is with a SxS. For all the O/U fellas sorry but that is the way it is.[] Yes they are harder to shoot but once you got it...you experience perfection. I got my practice on doves and sporting clays.
The only semi I use is a sweet 16.
For waterfowl its the 870 12ga.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:08 AM

sxs are pieces of **** !!!!!! i hate em !!!! yea sure autos will put alot more meat on the table but its practically cheating !! why not just use a nuculear bomb to take out pheasants ! what hapened to the good old days!!!!! huh guys?

welll i gues sxs aint that bad if you can find a good one but using a o/u seems alot more logical to me !
Old 12-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

I'll have to laugh at that one. SxS were around alot longer than O/U. Roost is much smarter than me (prolly a better shot too) if he's sucessful shooting a sxs.

Btw, I'm trying to get rid of my 870 for an O/U :P
Old 12-28-2004, 04:38 PM

I've shot a Browning Auto 5 in 20 gauge for over 25 years and have killed everything from doves to deer with it, though it's gotten precious little action in the last few years.

I recently bought a Ruger Red Label o/u in 20 gauge for dove and quail hunting. While I've not fired the weapon yet, it sure feels good when shouldered.

I'm hoping I like it as much in the field as I do at the house.

El Gringo
Old 12-29-2004, 05:28 PM

i have used both, but i would prefer the over under, but if you want a semi-auto, i would suggest the stoeger 2000, my over-uder is an old Breda, made in ITALY.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

First of all I grew up shooting pumps but I have shot a fair amount of different types of autos and I have never really cared for autos (for some reason, can't really explain it). I bought my first O/U when I was a jr. in HS and haven't used my pump much since then. I like the O/U b/c of their simplicity escpecially when it comes time to clean them. Watching the members at the shooting range clean their autos (and i've cleaned a few myself) makes me not ever want to own one. If I couldn't have an O/U, I would be shooting a pump....just my personal preference though.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

My thought exactly GSP.

Quick Reply: auto vs. over and under

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.