Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

auto vs. over and under

Old 01-11-2005, 08:46 PM

Default RE: auto vs. over and under

SXS
Old 01-12-2005, 11:08 AM

Do you guys prefer and semi-auto or over and under for upland bird hunting?Why?
I would choose an O/U if choosing only between those two. Why? Every O/U I have feels better to me than the autos I have shot. However, just as every auto isn't the same neither is every O/U. Let me say that I would not compare a top of the line auto with one of the numerous entry level O/Us currently flooding the U.S. market. Comparing a $700 auto to a $700 O/U is apples and oranges. For that price you should get a much better auto. Second, I wasn't raised shooting autos so the feel of the bolt opening and shutting doesn't feel right to me. Third, to me an O/U is usually much more aesthetically pleasing, assuming we aren't talking about a bottom of the line import. Reading through this thread I think I found more fallacy than fact and a few statements which were absolutely asinine. Quality is quality no matter what action you choose and selection is a matter of personal choice.

SH
Old 01-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know if Snipe was referring to me in his post or not, but I do like a few of things he said.....things that I failed to mentioned. One of the reasons I love O/U is the was they feel, particularly Brownings. I've shouldered and shot my fair share of different guns and these seem to be the best suited and/or fitted to me. When it comes to autos versus O/U, Snipe is correct in saying that comparing a $700 auto to a $700 O/U is like comparing apples and oranges. An auto that cost this much will EASILY be of better quality than an O/U within this same price range. One brand of cheap O/U that comes to mind is Baikal. I wouldn't even bother looking at these. I you're serious about an O/U stick with Browning, Ruger, Franchi, Benelli, and possibly Winchester. But what ever type of gun you chose is up to you.....it depends on what feels best to you and what your budget can afford.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:57 AM
Typical Buck

Heh, Snipe is prolly referring to me. In my defence, I had the priviledge to experiement with many types of shotguns in my youth. The person who I shot skeet with had great many guns, I would say 50+ (we found full sets of Sako rifles - all calibers, rem 1100s - all gauges, mec grabbers - all gauges, all unused, at his various friends houses when he passed away. He came from a wealthy family)

That being said, I've tried pumps, which was okay, autos, didn't sit well with me - keep trying to cycle it like a pump. I've tried SxS, and couldn't hit anything, even in 12 ga. But with an O/U, I could hit 20/25 using a 410 ga. full/full (mod?) choke consistantly. We went thru cases and cases of shotshells.