Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasant in the Rain ?

Old 11-18-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Pheasant in the Rain ?

Supposed to rain here Sat , worth going in the rain ? If so , what are the tactics. They are putting out 420 birds on Sat so I'm going if it will be worth it.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:47 PM

Default RE: Pheasant in the Rain ?

Hunting in the rain is, in my book, one step above not hunting at all. In other words, I don't like doing either.

If you're hunting with dogs, walking a field just after a rain actually makes life easier. Due to the moisture on the ground, the dogs can pick up scent better. No dogs? Walk a zig-zag pattern along the edge cover; walk in and then out of the corn/milo/CRP field you're hunting. But if you find yourself trading in brush pants for waders due to the rain, pack up and head for the nearest cup of hot coffee. I prefer to leave the soaked boots, wet dogs, clinging pants and water-logged jackets for duck hunting.

Pheasants, like most game, don't move much during bad weather. They have a hard time hearing/seeing predators (both two- and four-legged) and usually opt to sit tight hoping you walk past them. They'll bury themselves in cover and you won't get them to flush unless you kick them up. Literally. One tip? You can't walk too slow. If you walk fast, you'll walk over more birds than you care to think about. Walk 15-20 yards, freeze and wait a few. Some birds, thinking they've been spotted, will run and/or fly to escape the perceived danger. That's when you shoulder, wait, lead and pull.

You mentioned something about "they're putting out 420 birds...". That means they're pen-raised. That also means they're somewhat stupid; they're not wild and can therefore be somewhat predictable. They may flush early regardless of weather. Maybe someone who's hunted pen-raised birds in the rain can enlighten both of us.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:37 AM

I've never hunted pen raised birds but I have hunted wild birds in the rain. Same advice work slow. Also I seem to find groups of birds when I find them. Just came back from Nebraksa last night. Hunted 3 days in the rain[:'(] But found some nice roostersHad a triple species day with quail, praire chicken, and pheasant. We hunted with GSP and my CBR. My CBR did as well as some of the Shorthairs.
Keep dry clothes in the truck to change into. I wore goretex from head to toe and stayed pretty dry but it's nice to have warm dry sweats to put on for the ride home.
Gene Hill once wrote that the best part of hunting in the rain was getting warm and dry by a fire at the end of the hunt. I agree.

I'll add that When you shoot in the rain you better shoot well otherwise all you get is wet. Only missed 2 birds in three days but I was on fire, I usually miss 2 a day.

If you don't have goretex briar pants get some silicone spray or wax your cotton. Better than nothing!! Good Luck.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info guys .......taking the 12ga pump instead of my 20ga o/u since the birds will most likely be in the cover ( woods )
Old 11-22-2004, 07:55 AM

How did it go?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:47 PM

none Sat , two today , cock & hen
Old 11-22-2004, 08:06 PM

you can shoot hens there? thats kind wierd for me we cant here.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:04 AM

They are stocked birds , so yes you can take a hen. Our bag limit for the day is 2 birds of either sex.