Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Neck Wringing

Old 10-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Neck Wringing

I may be in the minotity but does anyone else not like this part of hunting. I don't bird-hunt much, but when I do, I try to place my shots. I want my kill to be made by the gun.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Spike

Default RE: Neck Wringing

first trip i went on, luckily i had a guide. i had him do it. brother in law gave me lots of crap, but it was the hardest part. by the third time out, i could do it, but i still dont care for it. glad i'm not the only one!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:53 PM

LOL. I had an aunt who was the best neck ringer that I've ever seen. That brings back memories
Old 10-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not a sick person or anything, but i actually enjoy doing it!! I like to make sure that the kill has been completed... Better than being kicked in the back several times because your birds still alive and kickin!!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:44 PM

BarnesX.308,
What do you do when you (on the rare occassion) don't place your shot perfectly? Of course we all try to place our shots to harvest the bird in the most humane manner. However, when that shot doesn't quite do the job, carrying a miniature guillotine in your game vest gets a little heavy so the neck wringer is the next best thing. It's all in the name of not making the bird suffer.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

You guys make me laugh! If you have a hard mouthed dog it will do it for you. I don't have one of those, so I have to finish my own work. But there is another way, hold the bird by the chest and don't let it breath, it will expire. Then you won't have crunch or flop flop flop from neck wringing. It is fairly quick and easy. Have a good hunt this fall.
Gselkhunter
Old 10-19-2004, 07:36 PM

L M A O at original post

Actually first time I did it the head came off to my surprise.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:36 AM

You just blasted this bird out of the sky with 1 1/8 oz. of lead from a 12 ga. Now is not the time to show remorse. Dispatch the bird humanely with a neck wringing and go on. Or on your bigger birds you could bite the head like Phil Robertson does (this works).

You said that you do not bird hunt much. If you bird hunted a lot you would see that downed birds are still alive more than they are graveyard dead, especially with waterfowl. Regardless of shot placement we are still at the mercy of shot patterns. We do not have the luxury of determining exactly where the shot will penetrate. You would not hesitate to shoot a wounded big game animal in the vitals to put it down, just consider a neck wringing the same thing.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

round and round they go with me!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:24 PM

When hunting dove or quail it's easier to just pull their head off. I don't like it but I've thought about shooting birds twice so I don't have to deal with it. The other day I shot a turkey and it was still alive but it had a broken wing with the sharp bone sticking out when I spun it around to break it's neck the bone cut my arm.

Quick Reply: Neck Wringing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.