Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

iowa hunting

Old 10-05-2004, 02:02 PM

Default iowa hunting

me and a buddy are talking about going pheasent hunting in Iowa, any one know where the prime place would be or know any good hunting grounds around there?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:13 PM

Default RE: iowa hunting

Hey there, Hoss!!

The Iowa DNR has a website with a game distribution map. Go to:

http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/upmaps.html

It will show you where the pheasants are. It looks like numbers are down this year, but should still be some good hunting. Not knowing where you are from, I would say look towards Poweshiek, Iowa, Keokuk, and Mahaska counties. These are all right along I-80 and just south of that in Eastern Iowa. A pretty good base of operations would be at the hotel by the Quarter Post Truck Stop at exit 201 of I-80. Many locals also get coffee either there or accross the street at Farmer Nicks, so you can meet the farmers and ask permission.

That is the area I grew up in, and there are still a lot of farmers who will let you hunt if you ask permission. There are a lot of good areas there, with quite a bit of 10 year ground as well. Harvest is running pretty good, so you shouldn't be fighting the birds hiding in the corn fields. If you haven't hunted them before, it is a lot of fun. You pretty much need a dog anymore, as we have more runners now than in the past. Those that don't run will sit so tight you can sometimes walk right up on them and almost kick them before they flush. Good luck, and contact me if you have more questions.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 AM

u will love pheasant hunting in iowa, its a great challenge. just about anywhere there is switch grass there is bond to be some birds. good luck. i hunt over by dubuque on the eastern part of the state.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:06 PM

Better interseed legumes.Switchgrass as a monoculture is terrible habitat, and eventually pheasants will not live there but visit on occasion.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:52 PM

thanks for your info, havent set a date but hoply soon, iam coming from minnesota and hope to have some fun, if u can think of anything in northren iowa please reply.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:21 PM

If you know where Decorah, IA is there seems to be a good number of birds around there this fall. Many farmers around there have waterways and CRP ground that they will let you hunt if you ask them. I hunt about 30 miles southwest of Decorah and had a lot of success last fall. If you have any more questions about hunting in northern Iowa I would be happy to answer them.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in Clinton County, Jackson County, and Scott County and I always bring home birds when i go out... i also stay at my cousins a couple weekends durring the year in Poweshiek County...She is the assistant county attourney so i go out there and hunt with the sheriff!!! You will love hunting in iowa!!

Good luck!!!