Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Hunting PA

Old 08-28-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Hunting PA

just moved to PA and was wondering if any of you guys hunt in PA. Also.....where is a good place to got your feet wet in upland game. Is there any birds, that can be hunted without a bird dog. Thanks
Old 08-29-2004, 05:48 PM

Default RE: Hunting PA

i hunt in pa however i am not willing to give up any of my spots sorry... however i am sure if you go into a gun shop and talk around someone will be willing to show you the ropes..... i think you'll find hunting solo a challange. it is very hard. take a partner or better yet get a pup. yup you will find yourself shooting more game with a dog
Old 08-29-2004, 05:59 PM

well you know we are all hunters here right and i think your a pretty good guy so i will let you in on a nice spot but it is public. delaware watergap along the river you will see about a dozen or so large feilds. behind each feild are thick wooden areas. then four wheel trails. i have shot many birds walking down the trails while your hunting buddy walks through the woods. also you can shoot a couple birds in those feilds. i am talking about pheasents though.

still the best way to hunt them is with a veteran that has a dog. let him show you the in's and outs. this way you will be able to shoot more birds and learn why you are
Old 08-30-2004, 08:26 AM

thanks a bunch.....
Old 08-31-2004, 02:24 PM
Spike

Delaware water gap is a nice area.Its off route 209.Lots of land but can and often is crowed specailly on the weekends.Beltzville Lake is a real good area and closer then the water gap area.One thing you can do is call the Regional Game Comission headquarters for your area and ask for Co-op maps.Ask for the maps that show were pheasants are stocked on private farms that are open to public hunting for the asking.Remeber tho PERMISSION is needed from the landowners.

Killer is right on the info he gave.Pheasant hunting can be very hard solo and a good dog surely ups your odd of a few birds in the bag.

I hunt Beltzville a few times each yr,I'd be happy to show you around there someday.I really dont have a problem sharing any public land areas with anyone,afterall we're all brothers under the skin.I do however keep my grouse and priavte areas I hunt for pheasants a bit tight lipped.Good luck if I can help farther let me know.Good luck this yr,I know I'm excited already.Take care,Jackson..
Old 09-05-2004, 10:58 AM

Jackson_q's area holds some nice land for hunting pheasents. i have been though there only 3 or 4 times and taken maybe 5 birds. however i don't know the land very well there either.

Jackson i also have a good place that holds woodcocks and grouse..and i don't even tell me hunting buddies about this "hideout" hehe when ever i go though i got to check behind me every 4 secs. and make sure they are not "going home the same way on accendent"
Old 09-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Spike

Killer.If you'd like,I'd be happy to show you around Beltzville someday.Theres a lot of land there,some I never knew exsisted till another hunting buddy showed me.Its well managed for birds,good cover and food plots.I hunt with English Pointers and get out everychance I get,if your intrested I'd be happy to share a few spots with you.Have a great season,take care,Jackson..
Old 09-06-2004, 05:18 PM

thanks a lot jackson i might have to take you up on that one day