Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Over Under or Side by Side?

Old 09-23-2004, 05:47 PM

Default RE: Over Under or Side by Side?

I like an OU single trigger much better. you usually have only a second or two. Not much time to contemplate choke.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:43 AM

I know that what goes on in a person's head just prior to a shoot will vary greatly from person to person, but if i've got time to bring the barrel to the bird... I've got time to pick a trigger. I've even suprised myself with those startling-fast pointn'pray shots

one more thing: if you into a practical field gun, an english stock is thought by most to be easier to carry in the field. I don't know many guns, but I can't think of any O/U in english. (yes i know, someone is going to say: "soilarch, *******, ******, and ******** all make an O/U in english stocks" )
Old 10-04-2004, 12:41 PM

You might want to look at the Baikail shotguns. Though not much in the looks department, they have gained a very good reputation as a very reliable and mechanically sound firearm. I'm not sure if any are in stores, but Remington is planning to market these guns under the Spartan Gunworks Brand.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:27 AM

Stalker, You make a case for the Baikal but in that price range you can find a sxs used and will have a gun that
should be a lot less bulky. Try finding a used Spainish gun made in the 60's or 70's. Most won't have the english stock
rather a pistol grip. The stock on them is half the size in diameter to the Baikal.
I shoot double triggers and it took probably 2 seasons to master the decision of pulling the 2nd trigger first on wild roosters
that run and flush at 35 yards.
Another part of shooting a double not yet mentioned is the hand positioning. Your hands are closer than on a semi or pump.
This is very different at first but will absolutely give you a quicker motion when pulling up on birds.
I still pull out the 870 for the duck blind but the quick rise of an upland bird situation beckons for a double in
my opinion. I shoot mostly sxs's but the newest gun for me this year is a o/u 410. It's been fun to train with on quail.
The sight plain is different as mentioned by others on a sxs but if you get into a 20, 28, or 410 that really fits you all you really should see is the bead at the end of the gun.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:21 AM

SxS looks way cooler lol!