Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pointing high with side by side shotguns >

Pointing high with side by side shotguns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pointing high with side by side shotguns

Old 02-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pointing high with side by side shotguns

I was handling various over & under and side by side shotguns in the capitol city today, looking for something faster & lighter for the small tasty birds. I tried various Berettas, Brownings, a few Ruger Gold Labels, Weatherby and Guerinis. Although there were relatively few side by sides, I found that when I put them up into position, there was quite a bit of barrel over the receiver, pointing high. So I was wondering if that is just me or is there perhaps a reason they are built this way? I handled a beautiful side by side Weatherby Athena Italia but I would shoot high with it. In contrast, a Ruger over & under in 28 gauge and a plain jane Guerini Woodlander in 28 whipped up pretty naturally. I was hoping to try a Browning Citori Super Light Feather but the dealers were sold out.

Would like to hear from experience as I have done far less sporting shotgun than anything else, and this will be bigger bucks than most things I buy.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Pointing high with side by side shotguns

That just happens to be the way that those particular stocks are made. Every person is different and most non custom stocks are made to fit an average person. If these SxS's were used guns they may have been built or altered to fit a particular person.

If you find one that you fall in love with but the gun does not point for you then you can have the stock bent to fit you so that you look straight down the rib.