Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Hunting Opportunity in SD

Old 11-28-2003, 10:30 AM

Default Hunting Opportunity in SD

I am looking to find upland game opportunities in SD. I have no idea how to find land owners in this state and it is a long way from home. While I don' t mind paying for the opportunity I am frugal and I just can' t see using the large hunting outfits. I can hunt pen-raised birds around here, but they give neither me or my dogs much of a challenge. Can some of y' all help? You can post a reply here or contact me directly at [email protected].

Thanks!

Clay
Old 12-01-2003, 05:59 PM

Default RE: Hunting Opportunity in SD

Unfortunately in SD nowadays it is very hard to get permission to hunt private land for pheasants. If you do ask enough times you will get permission once ina while. Most of the land in the prime pheasant range is sewed up by so called guides and the big hunting estates. Many of these shooting places are required to stock birds and they come from Minnesota and Wisconsin game farms. If you are willing to work for your birds then come up. You can get maps and a Walk in Atlas from the GF &P and we do have a lot of public land listed in these publications that will give you all the land you would ever need to have a fun hunt.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:31 PM

Default RE: Hunting Opportunity in SD

i would say that if you didnt want to go with a outfitter and you dont know anyone, than go with public ground. you should have some pretty good luck with them. Some good public ground is by either chamberlain,sd , or howard,sd. those have been the only two places that ive hunted on public ground and it has been awesome. got my limit everytime.