Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Taste of birds

Old 11-26-2003, 10:49 PM

Default RE: Taste of birds

sorry canonoch, didnt mean it the way it sounded, maybe because the bird was given to him it might not have been cleaned for quite a while.and it could also depend on how we prepared it
Old 12-14-2003, 03:19 PM

The best way to field dress a pheasant is to make a small slit between the breast and ass and just reach in and grab the big knot (gizzard) and pull. Put a couple ice cubes in the cavity or if hunting in the snow just stuff a snow ball up there. The pheasant being cooled down quickly is what preserves the flavor. Gamey, no, but there is a "wild" taste to all small game and to me it tastes GREAT!

Here's a nice recipe

ingredient list:

pheasants (2 or 4)
bacon
green peppers
onions
mushrooms
wostershire sauce
garlic powder
salt
pepper

Bone the pheasant and cut meat into one inch chunks. Soak pheasant chunks in worstershire sauce for 24 hours. cut green peppers, onions and mushrooms into 1 inch chunks. wrap bacon around pheasant chunks and hold with toothpick. Alternate pheasant chunks, onion slices, green peppers and mushroom slices on a kabob stick. Very lightly sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper and grill over charcoal until pheasant is done. Make allot of kabobs and have a party - it will be the hit of the party.

marty-il
Old 12-28-2003, 04:08 PM

I eat alot of mule deer and antelope as well as pheasant, grouse(including sage) and I have found if you take care of it right in the field it doesn't have a gamey taste.