Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Sandhill Crane History Research >

Sandhill Crane History Research

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Sandhill Crane History Research

Old 03-29-2024, 01:55 PM
Spike

Smile Sandhill Crane History Research

Hello all,

I am a history student taking a Food & History course working on a research project regarding Sandhill cranes. I wanted to reach out and find someone who grew up eating the birds (I'm in Florida where it's prohibited) and would be open to working with me. I have to do an oral history with someone and then have footage of them cooking the dish. If anyone is interested that'd be fantastic!
Old 04-03-2024, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe find states that historically have had seasons and make posts on some local Facebook or Craigslist pages.

Good luck
Old 04-03-2024, 04:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oklahoma has a tradition of sand hill crane hunting. I have see a few occasionally in Lancaster Co. off and on. They call them flying rib eyes in crane hunting areas because they taste like good beef.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Oklahoma has a tradition of sand hill crane hunting. I have see a few occasionally in Lancaster Co. off and on. They call them flying rib eyes in crane hunting areas because they taste like good beef.
I've heard they're tasty. But never had the pleasure.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Me neither but I would if I had the chance. It is a long way to drive to hunt them.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

They are very tasty for sure. You best bet will be to be closer to the season if you want a personal video of them being cooked. Most folks don't let them sit too long in the freezer because they are so good.
Attached Thumbnails Sandhill Crane History Research-nov2020crane2.jpg  
Old 04-03-2024, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I watched a show on the Sportsman's channel a few days ago of a crew hunting Sandhill cranes In Oklahoma. They had a rig of about 100 taxidermy mounted crane decoys.. They had a heck of am good shoot, I don't know what the bag limit is but they took a bunch home with them. They breasted them out and removed the legs and fired up a couple of charcoal grills and seasoned the meat with several different rubs and grilled them. from the comments and the look on the hunters and guides faces the meat must have been very good. They grilled them to medium rare. I would like to try them one day.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Cool picture Kelly!
Old 04-11-2024, 12:25 PM
Spike

Yeah, I come from a rural background, so hunting was a big part of growing up. But Sandhill cranes weren't something we ever cooked up. We were more into quail and duck. If you want to chat about cooking or the hunting scene with those, hit me up! I'd be glad to share what I know.