Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Quail Hunting South Texas

Old 11-05-2003, 09:18 AM

Default Quail Hunting South Texas

Ok, we had a great hunt last week in South Texas. Blues and Bobs everywhere!!! I am starting to believe the hype about this being the best season in years. It was a great time and the dawgs did well. Still a little green, both the dawgs and the cover.

I have to admit that I did not prepare well for this hunt. I am used to hunting in the hill country where there is not a lot of cactus. This place was covered in it and the birds knew it. It seemed that every bitd we shot if it wasn' t already in the cactus got there somehow befor hitting the ground. Deacon had nothad a lot of experience with this stuff. He is an adrenaline junkie though and went back in time after time. I am paying for my lack of preparation with hours of tweezer work.

What do you do to keep the cactus off the dawgs legs and chest? I want to be a bit more prepared next time I venture down to South Texas. I know it is pretty much impossible to keep him out of the cactus and he is going to get them in him. I figure some of you who have more experience with this could help me out.

Thanks, Tim Milligan
Old 11-11-2003, 08:27 PM

Default RE: Quail Hunting South Texas

Hey Tim,

Where bouts ya from. I live just east of San Antonio. I am going quail hunting tomorrow down around Devine. A friend has a deer lease there and he says they have lots of quail there. I have a untrained 5 year ole Brit female. She thinks she is more human than dog. I live in the country and she gets to roam alot. Back in the 70' s I got my first Brit female and she trained herself. She was one in a million.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:52 AM

Hey Reb,

I live in Dripping Springs. The ranch in between Dripping and Blanco on 165. Birds should be good in devine. Hope the girl does great! She will. Let me know how it went when you get back.

Regards, Tim
Old 11-13-2003, 01:15 PM

I live in Austin, but hunt down south, west of Three Rivers. I hunted last weekend and we did very well. This is the first time in years that there have been enough birds to make a hunt worth while down there. I am so glad to see some quail in south texas.

I have spent many hours pulling cactus out of dogs, I wish I knew a way to avoid it, but I don' t. It seems that some dogs get used to the south texas country, but even then they still get into some cactus.