Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Looking For A New Double

Old 07-04-2015, 03:00 AM
Spike

Default Looking For A New Double

I'm looking for a new double ( sxs or o/u, but maybe prefer a sxs ) for grouse hunting. I've used the search engine here and read the older threads regarding this subject, however - it has been 5-6 years since this was discussed and the options have changed a bit.

Regarding Turkish made shotguns, my understanding of CZ's (Huglu) are that they are well made and a good value. I rarely see them around here, so I have no way to handle them to decide for myself. I had an opportunity to handle a Stevens 555 o/u the other day and it felt quite nice. I handled a 12/28 and a 20/26. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Stevens Model 555 ?

I've called around and there are no CZ Bobwhite or Ringneck (now called a Sharptail ) sxs's anywhere in the Upper Midwest that I've tried.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Regards, Vic
Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 AM
Spike

I have an ATI cavalry in 28 gauge/.410. Really nice gun for a good price. Lion Country Supply handles them through their Classic Doubles site I believe.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

CZ builds their sub-gauges on sub- gauge frames.............. big difference !

I brought a Marlin L.C. Smith 20 gauge SXS after a lot of research - like mine just fine !!!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
CZ builds their sub-gauges on sub- gauge frames.............. big difference !

I brought a Marlin L.C. Smith 20 gauge SXS after a lot of research - like mine just fine !!!
I also have a LC Smith by Marlin in 20 gauge. Really like that gun as well.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:49 AM
Spike

Even though Marlin does not offer those shotguns anymore, who made them for Marlin ?

Huglu ( Turkey ) makes the CZ line of double shotguns.

The Stevens 555 o/u's that I handled the other day had "KOPS" , Turkey on the side of the receiver. I'm guessing this is a different company in Turkey that is a competitor of Huglu.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TraderVic
Even though Marlin does not offer those shotguns anymore, who made them for Marlin ?
Marlin purchased L.C. Smith many years ago.

If I understand it correctly Marlin tried to "replicate" them, but found it way to expensive.

Marlin started making them again (won shotgun of the year), which is when I brought mine.

They have stopped producing them once again...................

I am very glad I brought mine when I did.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/artwor...mith_20-db.jpg
Old 07-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Spike

So......Marlin owns LC Smith and Marlin then made LC Smith doubles for a short time, then quit due to the high cost.

How long did Marlin offer these doubles ? Remington must have purchased Marlin around this timeframe also.

What gauges and barrel lengths did they offer ? Maybe a used one will surface somewhere (????).
Old 07-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Vic,

Here you go;

http://www.gunsamerica.com/946979468...S-20-GAUGE.htm
Old 07-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Spike

Thanks for the link. I see that the LC Smith sxs's were made in Italy for Marlin. I guess the writing on the wall for me is a Turkish (Huglu) or similar double ( sxs or o/u ), unless I bump into a used medium quality double of some sort.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have no SxS my self but brother likes those things just fine and has a Stevens 311 20ga he had worked done to for early season partridge and a SKB Ithaca 12ga. he likes very well.

I have a bunch of OU's Beretta silver snipes in 12 & 20ga. Charles Daily 12 & 20ga and a SKB 585 12ga with changeable chokes.
By far my favorite is the 20ga. silver snipe small frame short barrels very quick handling. Second favorite is the CD in 12ga with extra full and full chokes also a quick handling shot gun.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.