Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Looking For A New Double

Old 07-06-2015, 04:12 AM
Spike

There are more o/u opportunities out there and I'm leaning that way because there is more to choose from. Are there any quality choices out there in the $600 - 800 price range ?
Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Spike

I talked with a gun shop this past Saturday and the fellow said that the ATI o/u is the same gun as the Stevens 555, only the ATI version is better looking. The company in Turkey that manufactures these guns is "KOFS" ( not "KOPS" as I mistakenly said in my first post ).

This fellow also said his store handles CZ ( Huglu ) and that they are a very well made gun and he has sold a number of them. He has a CZ Bobwhite 16/26 in stock, but I'm looking for a 20/26. 16's were a lot more common when I was a kid than I've seen in recent years plus shot shell selection and availability could be a bit slim around this part of the world.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are interested in a sub-gauge, buy one that is built on a sub-gauge frame.

Two barrel sets are also handy if you don't already own a 12 gauge (obviously not on a sub-gauge frame).

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/upl...ations-section

Vic - Good luck with whatever you end up with !

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-07-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stoeger has a 20ga SxS that'll go bang when you pull the trigger for well under $1k, but not sure who makes it.

If you're going to look at a SxS or O/U look hard at Browning, Beretta, Ruger, Charles Daly and SKB. There are some very good condition used field guns by these makers.

Avoid guns with barrels shorter than 26". Short barreled shotguns are butt heavy, and "whippy" on the muzzle end, especially the sub-gauges. They mount in a snap, which sounds like a good quality, but they will come off target just as fast.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Spike

Stoeger guns are made in Brazil and I don't think much of them. I am always checking the "used racks", scanning the papers, auctions, etc., and about the countryside for a decent, used grouse gun. This state is a significant upland bird hunting area, so good, used grouse guns can be scarce, but then there are always some surprises if one is in the right place at the right time.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TraderVic
Stoeger guns are made in Brazil and I don't think much of them. I am always checking the "used racks", scanning the papers, auctions, etc., and about the countryside for a decent, used grouse gun. This state is a significant upland bird hunting area, so good, used grouse guns can be scarce, but then there are always some surprises if one is in the right place at the right time.
Last comment here..........................

I have a Stoeger O/U 12 gauge Condor Supreme (Wished I would have brought the 2 barrel set w/ the 20 gauge barrel also) Mine has a 26" barrel.

Probably has 10,000 + rounds through it - it's my "beater" now.

BTW - I shoot right along side of the guyz that shoot Krieghoff's and Perazzi's !!!

Served me well !!!

You're right, this thread could have been much shorter - Buy one of the 3 "B's".

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-09-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:01 AM
Spike

Been looking at an SKB Model 500 o/u, but the gun shop won't budge much on their price, so I reckon either I pony up and do the deal or go after the Browning Silver Hunter 20 gauge ( 26" barrel ) that I've been considering - although this would cost about $100 more ( it's NIB though ).
Old 08-14-2015, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Vic - sent you a PM. take a look and let me know
Old 08-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a European American Armory/CZ MP310A Sporting Clays O/U 20ga. Ported, tubes, 26" pipes. It will take/use Tru-Lok choke tubes. I bought 5 tubes from XX-Turkey to Cyl bore. It is a dove and skeet shooter. Not as pretty as my Browning Citori skeet set, but I don't cringe at the thought of taking it and getting ti wet and muddy shooting geese or ducks with it either. And it was about $600.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weatherby has a new O/U Orion. I've not shot it, but a new o/u for $1100 chambered for 3" shells...I'm thinking it'd make a good field gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.