Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

HELP?!!?!?

Old 09-28-2003, 08:00 PM

Default HELP?!!?!?

hi, I am new to upland bird hunting, so I was wondering if you guys could help, I have a 20 gauge with modified choke (Im not worried about the gauge) Im worried about the choke, will a modified work shots on pheasants and similar?
Please help
-hotgunner
Old 09-28-2003, 09:17 PM

Default RE: HELP?!!?!?

yah, i shoot modified all the time, no matter at what im hunting, i have a 12 gauge but it should work fine. has for me
Old 09-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

i have a light modified in my shotgun for about 350 days a year. the difference between lm and m is negligable. m will be fine for you for about 98% of the time. don' t worry about the other 2% (turkey, or saboted slugs for deer).
Old 09-29-2003, 05:51 PM

Yes, modified choke is basically a universal choke. I use that for pheasants, rabbits, squirrels, clays...everything. Like psandhu said modified wouldn' t be too good for turkeys. I have no idea about slugs.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:20 PM

I think it depends on the kind of hunting you do. I use an open choke when hunting with pointing dogs (most of the time). The second barrel is modified. I haven' t tried it but I suppose hunting driven pheasants would require a tighter choke. From what I read there' s a real tendency toward more open chokes.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

I also lean toward more open chokes...usually I/C in a single barrel shotgun or Sk1/Sk2 in a double. I always hunt over pointing dogs, however, so my choice is largely dictated by that.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:56 AM

i use skeet choke when quail and dove hunting and switch to modified when hunting pheasants,grouse and chukar.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

It will work fine
Old 11-02-2003, 08:30 PM

Damn, we really are a bunch of techno weenies anymore. Toss some clays, learn where your pattern is and how far it will reach. Have a good time hunting. Save the toy talk for AFTER he discovers the joys of wingshooting.

Doesn' t anybody just shoot anymore?