Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pup Retrievng

Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Spike

Default Pup Retrievng

I have a new 9 week old Weimaraner and its a purebred and I have been training with it a lot and shes doing great and locks up for many second on a wing but when I try and do retrieving she will sometimes bring it back and other times she wants nothing to do with it....why is this and is there something I can do to get her interested or will this come with time?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nine weeks old is way to early to start a dog on anything other than it's basic commands. Let it be a pup and do very little of what you're doing for a while as they get tired quickly at that young age. As you have theorized, it will come in time as she ages a little. You obviously didn't listen when we answered your first questions before you even got her. Pushing her too fast at that young age or trying to triin her to the gun too quickly or improperly may well ruin her. You have plenty of time to get her going on a slow and steady pace and by late Fall she may be old enough to get her into the actual hunting environment. Please don't ruin her trying to get her into a finished dog for this coming season, as that's just too darn fast for a 9 week old dog and you'll be sorry!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-05-2013 at 08:55 AM.