Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Training Bumpers

Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 AM
Spike

Default Training Bumpers

Hello all. I am beginning training on my vizsla for upland bird hunting, the majority of which will be quail. I was wondering if there is a certain size bumper that I should be using for this type of bird. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Spike

i dont think there is any other type of version available anywhere, that would work well for, better to contact moderator for this query
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

For general retriever training, use black and white 2" X 8" knobby plastic (air filled) bumpers. Also, make sure that you frequently have a helper - out in the field - throwing bumpers. If you are the only one throwing, the dog will become accostemed to how far you can throw and will be unlikely to go farther out than that.

But for the Upland portion of training, you will need BIRDS. You can just dizzy them, use a box launcher, card them, etc. With pen raised birds, make sure they are well flight conditioned (you don't want your dog to be able to catch them) and that they are conditioned to be afraid of dogs.

Last edited by Doc E; 06-15-2013 at 06:47 AM.