Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Chukar and Pheasant Pen for starting my pup >

Chukar and Pheasant Pen for starting my pup

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Chukar and Pheasant Pen for starting my pup

Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Chukar and Pheasant Pen for starting my pup

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any dimensions or recommendations for building a pen to hold like say 10-12 chukars at a time or maybe 6 ringneck. I dont have a bird breeder just over the hill or anything so I would like to get 10 chukars at a time to train my german shorthair with and was just wondering if anyone had some pen dimensions. I heard that you dont want the distance to be too great from the floor of the pen to the roof incase the birds take off and hit their heads thus injuring the birds, I plan on using the birds within a week of purchasing them.

Thanks for any help and tips you can give!

DL55
Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have 2 pens for Chukar/Quail one is 4'W X 8'L X 28"H the second is 4'W X 4'L X 28"H. Right now I have 45 Chukar in the big one and 24 Chukar in the small. For Pheasant I have 2 5'W X 10'L X 6'H dog kennel runs with a top them bought at Tractor Supply. I have 12 Pheasant in each right now
Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I'll give you some food for thought!

For training steady to wing and shot which helps bring pointing along you'd be better off using pigeons.

So build a small pigeon coop instead. The birds are reusable, are far cheaper to get, will breed on their own, and you can do more for a longer period of time with pigeons than you can trying to keep game birds.

Some food for thought.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW

For training steady to wing and shot which helps bring pointing along you'd be better off using pigeons.

So build a small pigeon coop instead. The birds are reusable, are far cheaper to get, will breed on their own, and you can do more for a longer period of time with pigeons than you can trying to keep game birds.

Some food for thought.
That's a good suggestion... quite a few guys use pigeons around here.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW

Some food for thought.
And if some predator manages to get into your birds, it's less disappointing losing pigeons than ringnecks.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OpticsCamp
And if some predator manages to get into your birds, it's less disappointing losing pigeons than ringnecks.
Unless the pigeons happen to be Birmingham Rollers, lol.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for the help, I built a small coop and got 10 chukars, took the pup out and placed 2 birds so far, he was able to find them with ease but seems to point robins and small birds more than he did the chukar, when he found them he just stood there and wiggled with excitment, After the flush and shot he was hesitant to pick up the downed bird but eventually did and brought it back with pride and minimal calling.....

Gonna be a long process lol but will be worth it this fall i hope