Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

PA grouse hunt

Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA grouse hunt

A buddy and I are heading up to PA to grouse hunt w/in the next few weeks. Could anyone point us in the right direction? He's been up there before, but has found very limited birds, yet better #s than VA.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by coolbrze0 View Post
A buddy and I are heading up to PA to grouse hunt w/in the next few weeks. Could anyone point us in the right direction? He's been up there before, but has found very limited birds, yet better #s than VA.

season closed on jan26th.
grouse hunting is not good.
we saw very few broods of little grouse this year.
hunting pressure, hawks/owls/fox are taking toll on grouse.

habitat that is left is being overhunted badly.
i never saw so many dogs this year in 46 yrs i have hunted grouse.
i hunt about 3 times a week and know good spots.
i had 31 flushes for 3 months of hunting.
i dont kill very many but in comes other hunters and will shoot out all grouse, if they can.
i used to have 31 flushes a week not in 3 months or so.

if you find a good area that has not been hunted hard which is rare, you are looking at about 2 flushes .
DONT BELIEVE TOO MUCH YOU READ FROM PGC OR SOME OF NEWSPAPER ARTICLES.

trhey fib most of time to get you to come here.

its so bad that i am heading to wisconsin this fall for grouse.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Spike

Yeah PA is not as good for grouse hunting as people make it out to be. Hunters out number birds by a lot. Unless you can find solid private land to hunt I wouldn't waste a trip
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HuntFishRide View Post
Yeah PA is not as good for grouse hunting as people make it out to be. Hunters out number birds by a lot. Unless you can find solid private land to hunt I wouldn't waste a trip
even wisconsin is now being hunted hard for grouse.the grouse are so spooky do to the out of state hunters from what i read.
its hard to get a good point on grouse .

will see this fall if i get asked to go.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by sproulman View Post
even wisconsin is now being hunted hard for grouse.the grouse are so spooky do to the out of state hunters from what i read.
its hard to get a good point on grouse .

will see this fall if i get asked to go.
It's frustrating because I love bird hunting. PA doesn't have much to offer in that area. There is some good turkey hunting, but that's not nearly as exciting as flushing some birds out of cover
Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HuntFishRide View Post
It's frustrating because I love bird hunting. PA doesn't have much to offer in that area. There is some good turkey hunting, but that's not nearly as exciting as flushing some birds out of cover
i believe the PGC is going to 2 week turkey season do to lack of turkeys this year.
its no wonder. letting hunters shoot 2 turkeys then little kids that are not in woods and get another 2 turkeys has ruined turkey hunting.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

its so bad that i am heading to wisconsin this fall for grouse.
So you most likely are not heading up this way? We have a lot of grouse as well as predators. The grouse keeps showing up each year though..

i believe the PGC is going to 2 week turkey season do to lack of turkeys this year.
its no wonder. letting hunters shoot 2 turkeys then little kids that are not in woods and get another 2 turkeys has ruined turkey hunting.
We have a 2 turket limit each spring as well as 1 of either sex in the fall in certain areas. Now they are currently meeting on increasing the number of turkeys one can shoot as well as a longer season. They have been doing great here..
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 AM
fzo
Fork Horn

hope u still find some grouse
Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine View Post
So you most likely are not heading up this way? We have a lot of grouse as well as predators. The grouse keeps showing up each year though..

We have a 2 turket limit each spring as well as 1 of either sex in the fall in certain areas. Now they are currently meeting on increasing the number of turkeys one can shoot as well as a longer season. They have been doing great here..
my brother wants me to go up your way .
but i dont know my way around.
wisconsin trip IF i get invited is 2 day drive and 63 dollars a week for camp.
they know their way around area but I HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THEM .