Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Woodcock

Old 02-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Spike

Default Woodcock

They're back in PA. There's been some reports of numerous flushings. Some may have never migrated with the mild winter we have had. I took the setter pup out yesterday and did not have any flushes, but woodcock are spotty in my area normally. Anyhow, should be a good month for dog training.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Saw a decent amount of these while hunting this year. Decided to get a couple too. Ended up getting three this season.Haven't seen many in recent years but I jumped lots of them this year.
-Jake
Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Typical Buck

Your pup may not be ready or understand what hunting is yet. Keep taking them outdoors and encourage the pup to range and explore. You can help the pup along by buying a small bird like quail and have it struggling around. Do that by pulling wing feathers and tying a cord to its legs. It should bring out the drive in the pup but I would not do it until it starts to show interest.

You can start training at any age but I suggest you buy a book and/or DVD. Most follow a standard regiment on when to start such and such training.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Spike

I don't need any training advice. Just wanted to give a heads up about the woodcock returning to PA.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry, misread your post.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Yellowsnow
They're back in PA. There's been some reports of numerous flushings. Some may have never migrated with the mild winter we have had. I took the setter pup out yesterday and did not have any flushes, but woodcock are spotty in my area normally. Anyhow, should be a good month for dog training.
been out 6 times now and only saw 1 grouse.seeing coyote tracks all over.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Yellowsnow
I don't need any training advice. Just wanted to give a heads up about the woodcock returning to PA.
now wait a minute,ahhhh,hmmm.training advice
Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Sproul,

Coyote are on my list next year. I've casually hunted them up until now. But this summer I'm getting a dedicated coyote set up and hope to tear some up. Also have a friend who traps. He's going to teach me to trap next year. Hoping I can thin some out in my area.
-Jake
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Sproul,

Coyote are on my list next year. I've casually hunted them up until now. But this summer I'm getting a dedicated coyote set up and hope to tear some up. Also have a friend who traps. He's going to teach me to trap next year. Hoping I can thin some out in my area.
-Jake

get in climbing treestand and hunt at night using call.if snow on ground,you can see them .i hunt along pipelines.i use shotgun .

some are using a treble hook inside a piece of venison hung on fence.
coyote swallows the hook and is caught.
i believe this is not legal BUT its being done and does get a lot of coyotes.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like some of my Hillbilly relatives. They used to fish for turkeys. Corn, small hook, thin, whippy branch so they can't pull the hook out. Wonder who covers that, Fish or Game Commission?

I have not seen a Woodcock in years around here. A lot of the lowland areas have been developed and I blame that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.