Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Bird dog choices

Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Spike

I like labs
Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Spike

German Shorthair Pointers make great upland hunting dogs, assuming the breeding is correct, training is developed and the dog has some demonstrated natural abilities to work with. But if your looking for a waterfowl dog to go through icy waters all day long you probably need a Labrador or Chesapeake.

Either way you going to need some dog supplies, dog box, and
electronic collars.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Black Lab that points but I have never had a Brittany Spaniel and maybe should add that to my stable.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upla...nting-dog.html
Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Spike

I have a German Wirehaired Pointer and he's great. My dad was unsure of him when I first got him but after the first time hunting behind him, dad went out and got one from the same breeder. He's a great pheasant dog, does well with duck, and he's a fantastic companion dog as well. The only down side is they typically are a little hard headed and stuborn so training them is not for beginners or the easily frustratable, but to be honest 99% of it is natural instinct.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 AM
Spike

I just got a gsp pup. her mom is what sold me on the breed.