Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
I would like to try hunting as a hobby? >

I would like to try hunting as a hobby?

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

I would like to try hunting as a hobby?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 AM
Spike

Default I would like to try hunting as a hobby?

You can find all the information you need from your states Department of Environmental Management website. You can also contact the local police department to get info on local rules and regulations, etc.
It's an expensive hobby. My ex funds our son's interest and he's turned into an excellent hunter. At 13 he's already bagged 4 deer (one of them with a bow), two pheasants and three wild turkeys. They were all delicious!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Find some one who is experienced, finds honor in hunting also known as "Fair Chase" can be very rewarding and not necessarily expensive. You don't need the highest priced gun or the fancy clothes that some wear. You might not care for it, but if you do, you have a lifetime of memories.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

There is a wealth of info online,
especially with state agencies,
down to maps of where to go,

for those starting,
have to remind them of importance of scouting,
scouting is done through out the year,
and can make up 90% of the hunting experience
learning the lands and animals behavior,
dont need top of the line expensive gear to hunt,
clothing, just about any camo will do,
my first outfit was used military clothing from surplus store,
think i paid $50 head to toe,
my bow was $500 new +10 yrs ago and still use it,
can find cheaper used bows around,
and if gun is your choice, bargains there too.
before one invests in gun or bow, recomend spending as much time outdoors as possible, can even hunt with a camera.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Spike

Default Hi

Am Ben, In my opinion, hunting is not a hobby, its firmly cruel activity.
I hate this type of activities. We have to like all creatures as we love each other.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:13 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Too bad Ben ~ the buying of hunting licenses, sports equipment, camping equipment and park fees (are many others) funds the many many widlife conservation programs to which benefits everydbody including you! Hunters are an important fact in the control of many wildlife populations and that is why game laws are published - so we as hunters have a sustainable populations.

And if you really loved everyone ~ you would try to understand rather than ridicule!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bendonald
Am Ben, In my opinion, hunting is not a hobby, its firmly cruel activity.
I hate this type of activities. We have to like all creatures as we love each other.
If our early ancestors thought like you our species wouldn't exist.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

My question to you is why are you on a hunting website if you don't like hunting?? Hunting is a great hobby and if you don't like it thats fine you don't need to bash people about it
Old 01-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Spike

To BenDonald posting,

I don't know what you eat to stay alive ???? If there is any meat, something had to die, if it is eggs, you prevented a life from being hatched, if it is fruit or vegies, it was killed before it lived a full life and you ate the newborn of that plant. You can not eat without killing something !!! Plant or animal !!!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Spike

Anyone catch this new hunting show on Travel Channel called "The Wild Within"? Found it while flipping channels and found it pretty good. I missed the first few minutes of it but I was really impressed with what i saw, it really portrays us hunters the way we should be portrayed. highly recommend it. really excited to see next week's episode -- the host goes on a wild boar hunt in hawaii - http://www.vimeo.com/18798879
Old 01-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Carlabarajas
You can find all the information you need from your states Department of Environmental Management website. You can also contact the local police department to get info on local rules and regulations, etc.
It's an expensive hobby. My ex funds our son's interest and he's turned into an excellent hunter. At 13 he's already bagged 4 deer (one of them with a bow), two pheasants and three wild turkeys. They were all delicious!
Many people feel they have to have the latest and greatest of hunting gear, YOU DON"T. A person can purchase discount gear at many locations, Including Walmart, this time of the year, You largest monetary investment will be a bow or gun. These also can be purchased wisely. If you buy used you can usually get your money back if you decide hunting isn't for you. And if hunting is for you or not it is your personal decision. You will find hunting isn't all about killing, it is about getting out in the woods, water, and field and enjoying it all. Some of the best advice I can give you is to read these forums, they are packed with information, most of it is worthy, some is crap. feel free to PM me at anytime for help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.