Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
I do NOT recommend hunting at Shady Grove preserve!!! >

I do NOT recommend hunting at Shady Grove preserve!!!

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

I do NOT recommend hunting at Shady Grove preserve!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 AM
Typical Buck

Check out Primland. I hunted there about 10 years ago with 2 other guys and we absolutely loved it. Lots of birds and the guide had several sets of dogs he would swap out to give them a rest. We had 3 in our party but they only wanted two hunting at any given time. So we swapped out. When one guy got a bird, he broke open his gun and hung back to let the other guy hunt. It worked great.

My only regret is not getting back there in 10 years. For me, it is maybe the only bird hunting I will get to do as we just don't have much grouse, quail or pheasant around.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot at Shady Grove a few times. They have been very good to deal with and have provided a very nice day of shooting. This place is in NOVA (maybe an hour from the DC beltway?) and can only handle a limited number of people, so I believe that preference is given to regulars that buy multi-hunt packages. A friend took me out for a shoot and introduction the first time and I bought a 10 hunt package after we had a great day of quail shooting. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to cater to every single-hunt guy considering the nearby population.
If you are in need of a shooting preserve, I would try either driving further from NOVA or asking Shady Grove about the availability of their multi-hunt packages.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by countertop
Some folks I know in DC who lobby for the NRA introduced me to them.
Wow, if I wasn't already happy with my civilian job AND my military one (Reservist on active duty), I would apply for that one. Life Member, Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, and *VERY* politically involved

I have to admit I'm a little jealous.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

I have to admit I'm a little jealous.
They all like it, but at the end of the day even a dream job is still just a job.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Check out Primland.
Pricing Information
Half-day Pheasant hunt
$369/hunter (opportunity to harvest 8 birds)Half-day Quail hunt
$369/hunter (15 quail released)Half-day Chukar hunt
$369/hunter (opportunity to harvest 10 birds)Half-day Combination hunt
$369/hunter (6 pheasants & 4 quail)
(6 pheasants & 3 chukar)Additional Birds
Pheasant—$25 each
Quail—$9.50 each
Chukar—$14.95 eachBird cleaning—$4 each
(All cleaned birds are packed in a cooler.)Our count is based on birds shot, not birds retrieved.

Wow. That's pretty damn pricey.

I'm headed up to PA for a wild grouse and stocked pheasant hunt this weekend. Its a 4 1/2 hour drive from DC, $35 for the non resident small game license, and free to hunt the state game lands (lodging is $60 a night)
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by countertop
Pricing Information
Half-day Pheasant hunt
$369/hunter (opportunity to harvest 8 birds)Half-day Quail hunt
$369/hunter (15 quail released)Half-day Chukar hunt
$369/hunter (opportunity to harvest 10 birds)Half-day Combination hunt
$369/hunter (6 pheasants & 4 quail)
(6 pheasants & 3 chukar)Additional Birds
Pheasant—$25 each
Quail—$9.50 each
Chukar—$14.95 eachBird cleaning—$4 each
(All cleaned birds are packed in a cooler.)Our count is based on birds shot, not birds retrieved.

Wow. That's pretty damn pricey.
Yes, that explains why I have only done it once in 10 years. Though it was ONLY $300 when I went. It is really the only way I will get to bird hunt so it was worth it. If the government knew how much fun it was they would make it illegal.