Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
I do NOT recommend hunting at Shady Grove preserve!!! >

I do NOT recommend hunting at Shady Grove preserve!!!

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

I do NOT recommend hunting at Shady Grove preserve!!!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default I do NOT recommend hunting at Shady Grove preserve!!!

A while back I asked about paying for a guided upland bird hunt, and I appreciate all your feedback. I decided to try it, and started looking for a place to do it.

One place I checked out was Shady Grove preserve in Virginia (here is their site: http://www.shady-grove.com/Preserve.htm ). I sent them an email with three questions and one follow-up question (four questions total). They replied with an answer that was either poorly-worded or intentionally ambiguous. They sort of answered one of my questions, but not really because their answer was so ambiguous I was still confused. They didn't bother to address the other three questions.

I was a little put-off. After all, here I am getting ready to drop a lot of good cash for them to take me hunting. I want to know exactly what I'm getting into and be able to compare one business to another so I can make a good selection. I replied and asked them to answer ALL my questions!

I got a second reply, stating they did not want my business. Very well, you're not getting it!!! Seriously, if you want to sell something to someone, answer their questions! It's a pretty simple rule of capitalism. I will spend my money elsewhere, and I recommend everyone else do the same. None of my questions were invasive; I wasn't asking a woman her age for Pete's sake!

What exactly were they hiding? I imagine this is a second-rate business with a flashy web site and they got antsy when I started asking questions.

And no, there is NO danger of a libel / slander suit here. In order for them to file such a suit against me or huntingnet, they have to prove the accusations I made never happened. As such, I've kept the email

So, Shady Grove preserve, take a hike!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

What questions were you asking?
Old 11-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ACutting
What questions were you asking?
Here is a copy-and-paste from my first email:

"1- Can you provide references regarding your pheasant hunts?

2- What other charges are in addition to the $160 guided 1/2 day?

3- How many people can be in a group? Does each person pay the $160 if we use your guide and dog?

Thank you."
Old 11-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to agree with your statement then that the place is not a preserve I would hunt at. Those are simple questions. Every preserve that I have hunted with can and will provide references on request. The second one a simple answer would suffice either there are cleaning fees on the birds if you choose to have them cleaned or no additional fees or whatever the case may be. The third question is a valid question. I have 4 preserves I frequent and each one has different rules on this. One of them you can have up to 8 people in the same group hunting how ever many birds you want to put out but each hunter is an additional $15 (no additional guide fee per person, another preserve it is you have to have a package for each hunter, ie $160 per hunter, another one is a 2 bird minimum per hunter but no hunt fee unless you are using their dog and guide and then it is $30/hunter per half day hunt. And another place I can have up to 12 hunters for no additional charge, no bird minimum, no additional guide costs.

So yes all of your questions were reasonable and should have been answered by the preserve. Where are you located? I can do some checking and try to find you a suitable place to hunt.

Andrew Cutting
Old 11-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ACutting
I would have to agree with your statement then that the place is not a preserve I would hunt at. Those are simple questions. Every preserve that I have hunted with can and will provide references on request. The second one a simple answer would suffice either there are cleaning fees on the birds if you choose to have them cleaned or no additional fees or whatever the case may be. The third question is a valid question. I have 4 preserves I frequent and each one has different rules on this. One of them you can have up to 8 people in the same group hunting how ever many birds you want to put out but each hunter is an additional $15 (no additional guide fee per person, another preserve it is you have to have a package for each hunter, ie $160 per hunter, another one is a 2 bird minimum per hunter but no hunt fee unless you are using their dog and guide and then it is $30/hunter per half day hunt. And another place I can have up to 12 hunters for no additional charge, no bird minimum, no additional guide costs.

So yes all of your questions were reasonable and should have been answered by the preserve. Where are you located? I can do some checking and try to find you a suitable place to hunt.

Andrew Cutting
Even though I'm from Colorado, the Army has me in Virginia this year. So I need a place in Virginia. I have found the web site for a different place, but they don't have email. I'm going to call them and ask the same questions as above.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

Mac266, sent you a PM
Sorry to hear that preserve couldn't answer such simple questions
Old 11-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

It does strike me as odd that they wouldn't answer your reasonable questions. It also would make me wonder just how service oriented they are. Their 2nd response would strike me as arrogant.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Go to Remington Whistling Wings.

Or give me a PM. There are other - cheaper - options.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by countertop
Go to Remington Whistling Wings.

Or give me a PM. There are other - cheaper - options.
Wow, thanks! Have you hunted at this place? Do you work there?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Yes I've hunted there. No, I don't work there.

Some folks I know in DC who lobby for the NRA introduced me to them.
Its a well run operation. A bit pricey - generally - for me but its close to DC. I've been there 3 or 4 times.

I've also been to Shady Grove once before. Didn't have any problems, but it sounds like they were a bit obnoxious. The Rappahanock Retriever Club does practice sessions out there for dogs - guy I got my dog from runs the club. I've actually been meaning to get out one Sunday to work my dog for some time, but just haven't managed to find the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.