Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

20ga 3in Pheasant loads

Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks for article,that was interesting.when i bought my BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA. i was grabbing the 20ga a LOT.i agree it felt better do to the smaller dia barrel.i picked up 12 ga and noticed the barrel was bigger.

weight was noticable too between the 2 so 1 pd does make difference.but i wanted just 1 gun that could do it all.
after reading the SHOTGUNWORLD hunters, they all agreed that i was foolish to get 20 ga .

their reasons were this.
more bbs
cheaper shells and more available
can be used on all game
swings better on bird
better on clay birds
only 1 pd heavier but not that noticable
most rec 26 inch barrel, i went with 28 and feel its better.

not 1 rec that i get a 20ga, not 1.funny, i did like feel of 20 ga better too,it was sweet .
i hunt with toby for about 4 hrs 3 times a week on grouse/pheasants.i really dont notice the weight of my 12 ga.
but my REMINGTON 1187/MOSSBERG i have I DO....
i hate both those 12 ga but love my BERETTA URICKA FIELD.
to me it feels very close to 20 ga remington.

i am 56 and wanted my last gun. as you get older ,you cant take recoil .semi -auto BERETTA takes up so much recoil,its unreal vrs a o/u,s/w or single shot.this is why i went with a SEMI-AUTO ,recoil to shot.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Spike

I will admit that a 12 ga. is a better "all-around" do-everything gauge. Some of the Beretta semi-auto's I've hefted are nice and light. I have a pair of 11-87's and they are NOT bird guns. They are cumbersome and ill-balanced in my opinion. They are okay on a skeet field or trap field, and fine in a duck blind or in a pocket of woods adjacent to a field crow hunting, but the 11-87 is not a grouse gun.

I have thought about getting a Beretta semi-auto for a while now. I have a Browning gas auto (B2000) that's light but I don't use it much, and 20 & 16 ga. A5's which are light and I like toting them. Maybe I will look into one someday. Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by knowyourlimit
I will admit that a 12 ga. is a better "all-around" do-everything gauge. Some of the Beretta semi-auto's I've hefted are nice and light. I have a pair of 11-87's and they are NOT bird guns. They are cumbersome and ill-balanced in my opinion. They are okay on a skeet field or trap field, and fine in a duck blind or in a pocket of woods adjacent to a field crow hunting, but the 11-87 is not a grouse gun.

I have thought about getting a Beretta semi-auto for a while now. I have a Browning gas auto (B2000) that's light but I don't use it much, and 20 & 16 ga. A5's which are light and I like toting them. Maybe I will look into one someday. Thanks
i agree with you. i just sold my REM 1187,it was awful gun.compared to BERETTA URICKA FIELD .
look at BERETTA URICKA FIELD 20 GA.boy what a light semi-auto that is but it does not swing like the 12 ga does according to EXPERTS at SHOTGUNWORLD,boy they test the beretta bigtime.they have forum just on the BERETTA.
i sold 4 guns to get my BERETTA and very happy i did.
if i loved the 20 ga,NO OTHER GUN WOULD I BUY BUT THE BERETTA URICKA FIELD 20G WITH THE 28 INCH BARREL.
most buy the 26 inch,they are making a boo boo.
that extra 2 inchs adds no weight too the gun but it allows you a better sight picture and swings and balances better.
pick up 26 inch in store and swing it ,THEN PICK UP 28 INCH.

you will see difference.some like 26 because its FASTER.no bird is that fast that you need faster unless you are hunting those little quail birds .
in my opinion the BERETTA system /balance is better than benelli/franchi.
i paid 800 for my BERETTA .they are higher now and going higher.
you can always get your money out of them ,the name keeps price up.
benilli/franchi name does not keep price up.benilli is close.

take care sproul