Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

20ga 3in Pheasant loads

Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Sproul, this is funny!

The only reason to use a shotgun larger than a 20ga or 410 for birds is if you are a bad shot. I would put my son or grandson up against anybody with a 12 ga and they would smoke em. I taught my kids with a 28 ga and they can out shoot most who use a 12 ga. Not braggin, just disagree with your post.

Learn to shoot right and you don't need the extra shot!
i agree with you.but most of us dont practice including sproul.just too expensive to shoot now.
but a pheasant at 30 yds or more is one tough bird to knock down with 20 ga.,

Last edited by sproulman; 09-01-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Spike

yes there are advantages but its not really worth the extra money
Old 09-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
yes,if you practice a lot with 20 ga, NO DOUBT YOU CAN KILL A PHEASANT.
but todays birds run ,then fly and shots are over 30 yds mostly after birds are hunted............
Sproul, Thats why I hunt with a Lab, He catches the runners!

Toby must do so too, don't he?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Sproul, Thats why I hunt with a Lab, He catches the runners!

Toby must do so too, don't he?

i am looking at POINTING LAB for future.dont know if thats right move yet as flushing dog does work better on runners.grouse today are running do to coyotes we have now.they used to sit and hide, not now they run then fly away.
almost all my shots on grouse after leaves drop are over 30 yds.

this is why even 20 ga is hard on grouse after leaves come off unless you have a long barrel with FULL CHOKE.i like 28 inch barrel on 20 ga and 12 ga too.those 24/26 inch barrels are quicker but they dont BALANCE as good as 28 inch does and better sight picture.

a light 20 ga is sweet when hunting.i almost got the 20 GA BERETTA URICKA FIELD in the 28 inch barrel. 1 nice gun, for sure.
but after looking at 12 ga beretta,it weighted 1 pd more,shells are more powerful,more bbs,and MUCH CHEAPER than 20 ga.
you can use LOW BRASS with 12 ga and have to use HIGH BRASS with 20 ga .

with 12 GA you can hunt everything up to goose.

if i was goig to buy 2 guns ,I WOULD BUY BOTH 20GA/12GA. but 1 gun to do it all, ONLY BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA.........
right now i am putting plastic stock on my 12 ga uricka. this will make it as light or lighter than 20 ga and i dont have to worry about wood getting scratched by thorns etc hunting grouse.

so now i have 20 ga in a 12 ga that is as light BUT packs more shot for those long shots.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 AM
Spike

20 ga is not gun for pheasants even with 3 inch .it is rabbit gun but we all use 22 cal for rabbits.
not bad grouse gun as its light to carry .i would keep it for grouse/rabbits.

12 ga is by far best all around gun and shells are cheaper and put more bb in air.
go shoot clay birds with your 20 ga.then pick up a 12 ga. let me know how you do!

new jersey guys most cant hit anything.

sproul has spoken
Another Magnum-itus disciple?

Maybe in Kansas or Iowa over birds that flush wild and shots are at 40 yards, the 12 will have some advantages, but a 20 is fine for pheasants over pointing dogs. Shot size and choke selection is more important sometimes than how many pellets you are putting in the air.

Check out Randy Wakeman's article on his website about using 3" 20 ga. for pheasant. Pretty interesting.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by knowyourlimit
Another Magnum-itus disciple?

Maybe in Kansas or Iowa over birds that flush wild and shots are at 40 yards, the 12 will have some advantages, but a 20 is fine for pheasants over pointing dogs. Shot size and choke selection is more important sometimes than how many pellets you are putting in the air.

Check out Randy Wakeman's article on his website about using 3" 20 ga. for pheasant. Pretty interesting.
being good shot or great shot a 20 ga is fine.yes, if you have pointing dog and pheasant holds close, 20 ga is fine.i use flusher,toby my lab and first day a 20 ga would work.after first day, no way ,your shots will be long and 12 ga is better.

with 12 ga shells cheaper and only 1 pd heavier i dont know why anyone would want a 20 ga.

come here with me on grouse hunt in pa. you carry a 20 ga and i will carry my 12 ga beretta uricka field.
after that,then write your comments.

Last edited by sproulman; 09-20-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Spike

being good shot or great shot a 20 ga is fine.yes, if you have pointing dog and pheasant holds close, 20 ga is fine.i use flusher,toby my lab and first day a 20 ga would work.after first day, no way ,your shots will be long and 12 ga is better.

with 12 ga shells cheaper and only 1 pd heavier i dont know why anyone would want a 20 ga.

come here with me on grouse hunt in pa. you carry a 20 ga and i will carry my 12 ga beretta uricka field.
after that,then write your comments.
I reload so shell costs are a moot point for me. I too grouse hunt in ME, NY & PA. And for for that kind of walking, especially in some of the thicker hillisides where you always feel like you are walking with one leg on the upside or downside of a steep hill; I take my 6 lb. 20 ga. every time.

It's not about how much you can lambast your quarry but it is about the art of the hunt too. If you require food that bad, then use a 12 ga. I you want to be artistic about how you hunt, take a smaller gauge and challenge yourself.

My 83 year-old uncle, who carries a 28 ga., refers to my 20 ga. O/U as a "cannon." [/QUOTE]
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I reload so shell costs are a moot point for me. I too grouse hunt in ME, NY & PA. And for for that kind of walking, especially in some of the thicker hillisides where you always feel like you are walking with one leg on the upside or downside of a steep hill; I take my 6 lb. 20 ga. every time.

It's not about how much you can lambast your quarry but it is about the art of the hunt too. If you require food that bad, then use a 12 ga. I you want to be artistic about how you hunt, take a smaller gauge and challenge yourself.

My 83 year-old uncle, who carries a 28 ga., refers to my 20 ga. O/U as a "cannon."
[/quote]

i agree. weight is terrible on shotgun hunting grouse.
until i found the BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA,i hated carrying a 12 ga.
this gun is unreal how it feels at 7 pds,it feels like 6 pds.it was so light for me i got the 28 inch barrel,not 26 inch.

it swings better with the longer barrel.
BENILLI/FRANCHI are good ones too on weight of 12 ga.
but for me to carry a REMINGTON/MOSSBERG/WINCHESTER,no way i could do it.
the BERETTA URICKA FIELD 20GA. is unreal how light that baby is.
if not using those 3 guns,I WOULD USE A 20 GA ALMOST FOR ALL UPLAND.
you get chance go try a BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA.gander mtn lets you hold them and so does most big outdoor stores.
their gas system i feel is best on recoil and does not jam like 391 did.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

My 83 year-old uncle, who carries a 28 ga., refers to my 20 ga. O/U as a "cannon."
[/quote]

i still use an old stevens 410,works good too. i use it for about all my bird hunting
Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Spike

I'll admit that 20 years ago, my favorite grouse gun was a light Beretta 12 ga. 686 with 1 oz. loads of #8's and CYL/SKT tubes. Being a Beretta, it weighed 6 3/4 lbs., so it wasn't too terrible to hunt with all day. (Still not as trim as their 20 gauge though.) It made a dandy pheasant gun too. My hit percentage on game with it was pretty good. 25 years later, I just like toting my lighter 20 O/U's all day. Payload and shot selection is still the biggest key for an edge on long range pheasants.

Interesting article on 20 ga., shot selection, and long yardages:
http://randywakeman.com/Pheasants_Pa...y_%20Yards.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.