Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What to plant for doves?

Old 05-29-2003, 09:21 PM

Default What to plant for doves?

I generally plant sunflowers sorgum & millet mix. I sold my land this year & just know purchased some other. But I know it is too late for sunflower seeds. I plan on being able to plant by june 20. Season opens sept.1.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2003, 06:15 PM

Default RE: What to plant for doves?

Millet, milo, wheat, buckwheat -- these are all dove magnets, although sunflower is the best.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of the above are good dove attractors, but if you' re not able to plant any earlier than june 20th, none of those plants will produce seed by dove opener. If the land has weeds growing on it, I' d let them grow until about two weeks before season, and then go in and mow them all down as low as you can, weed seeds attract them pretty well to, and if you can get the cover knocked down and the weeds all die, that might be your best bet for this season.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

as far as the weeds go, you might even consider fertilizing them. i don' t see any reason why it wouldn' t help promote seed production. after all, it' s what you want, seeds. seeds to attract doves.

then in oct you can plant winter wheat. get a soil test done now for the wheat you' ll plant in the fall. apply the recommened amount of fertilizer for the wheat. then for dove season ' 04 you' ll be set.