Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

.22 Rifle

Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Spike

Default .22 Rifle

Would a .22 birdshot be sufficient enough to hunt dove, quail, pheasant? I'm new to hunting and I was just wondering.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default NO

NO not enough shot, I am not saying you would never kill a dove or a quail, but I would not give you very good odds. I dont think you could kill a pheasant unless it was a direct shot in the head from very close. I tried shooting a coon with bird shot when I was about 12, 3 shots in the head and all I did was blind him.
I see you are from Illinois, I am pretty sure it is illegal to hunt birds with a rifle regardless of what shot you have in it.

If money is the issue you can buy a New England single shot in 20 or 12 from walmart for a little over $100 bucks.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, it's called rat shot, not bird shot. Second, no, don't try to dove, quail, and especially pheasant hunt with it. I can promise you, it's probably illegal in every state to hunt these birds with a rifle. Rat shot doesn't have a very effective range. You could probably kill one if it were on the ground very close. Why would you even consider hunting with rat shot, other than rats?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default shot

Depending on what part of the country you live in it is called birdshot, ratshot, snakeshot.

On most all boxes I have seen it is called "#12 birdshot"
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Spike

Alright guys thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Go get yourself a singleshot 12 gauge. That and a 22. You're ready for any game you'll find in Illinios.